Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had Pippin and Willow for about a month, and I was hoping Pippin would progress with his flying but he isn't getting anywhere.

I'm quite against clipping and I'm even considering that. He's just going to really hurt himself...

I have had cushions nearly everywhere since I got them.

What other options do I have?

I have tried doing some wing exercising, bouncing my hand so he flaps but he's really not a fan.

[EDIT] Willow is an amazing flyer! Maybe even better than Sammy! (but don't tell Sammy that)

·
Registered
37 Posts
I shouldn't laugh but it's such a funny image, the cushions all around the house...reminds me of this cartoon character, an albatross who couldn't land...

Maybe he needs building up slowly, start with really small straight distances and slowly increase to build strength? Perhaps use treats to entice him to first hop from perch to hand and then slowly make the distances longer until he has to fly...?

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Loki couldnt fly good and was hitting things and even bled and I clipped her wings so she wouldnt get hurt but now I know theres other ways to help them fly better and Loki can now fly again and can fly much better try targeting your bird to fly to different places.

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Perhaps you should do just a very light clip on him and work diligently on flight exercises with him for short distances. All he needs is strength, practice and confidence :)

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well earlier he flew and actually LANDED :thumbu: on the cage instead of CRAAAAAAAAAAAAASHING so there is hope!:clap::clap::clap:
I was so happy I danced around like an idiot for about 10mins :excited:

·
Registered
37 Posts
Go Pippin!!!!!!!!

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Once you show any concern over a problem, they seem to fix it themselves. It's like they bait you to worry and them show you up.

He probably just needs more time then, to fully master flying

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He crashed again today and hurt his cere, but he's only crashed a few times, getting much better at it :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts