Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am not new to birds but have a worry i have had birds my whole life but never had a baby like Arlo! Arlo is almost 6 months and he is very very jumpy, he is like a ping pong ball and is scaring me to death, we are going back to basics with him and trying to get him used to our hands in his cage then gonna get him to step up, now he can step up but we need him to come on to us when he trys to land!, he cant land and keeps crashing so for the moment he is in his cage which we hate but its for his safety for now, he ping pongs in the cage and out!
i have never had this ever and its a worry and he is gonna give me a heartattck soon, anything moves fast or he is not ready for it bang he is off and takes a while to calm him down! i no there instincts are to be on alert but this is madness, please please tell me he will grow out of this soon? are we doing the right thing or wrong things, we have 6 year old kiki also and he is confident flyer, and even he crashed when we let them both out ( big mistake on our part) there i way i can have them both out at the same time, and even when kiki is in and Arlo was out, kiki likes to jump down to the bottom of his cage and this makes Arlo go into ping pong mode, please help what can i try do? we cant have then in seprate rooms as in a small house, we lost Buck our 11 year old latino in may and so we are extremly anxious as that was so unexpected so we are on eadge any ways but i am trying to be carlm but i am worried.

thanks for listening

Nicky, Kiki and baby Arlo AKA, ping pong ball !!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Hi Is your Arlo wing feather clipped?
Cockatiels in general are very good at climbing using feet and beak, if wing clipped. My thought is your Arlo is trying to learn flying. This is happens to any young bird who was wing feather clipped before knowing how to fly. I have seen such a bird flying backward and of course a lots of crush landing. At 6 months, cockatiel will go through first molting. Let your Arlo grow full all feather out and learns how to fly.

Young cockatiel tends to more active than old one

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi Is your Arlo wing feather clipped?
Cockatiels in general are very good at climbing using feet and beak, if wing clipped. My thought is your Arlo is trying to learn flying. This is happens to any young bird who was wing feather clipped before knowing how to fly. I have seen such a bird flying backward and of course a lots of crush landing. At 6 months, cockatiel will go through first molting. Let your Arlo grow full all feather out and learns how to fly.

Young cockatiel tends to more active than old one
Hi no Arlo was never clipped and was parent rasied he is a good flyer just cant land and crashes into the blinds, the scarey thing is he dont stay down to go help him he just keeps going and its a worry i was hoping practise makes good flying but we had him for about 9 weeks now so he is almost 6 months now

·
Registered
10,848 Posts
It might be helpful to give him a wing clip or partial wing clip to slow him down. My experience is that birds are more prone to panic when they're fully flighted - they take off flying at the least little thing, just because they can! A bird whose flight power is more limited is more inclined to stay in place unless there's something more serious to be afraid of, and if they do take off flying there will be less impact if they smack into something. Clipping gives a new bird time to learn about his new home at a safe speed, instead of banging into the walls while he's traveling too fast to really learn anything about his environment.

It will also make it easier for you to work with him so he can learn that you're nice, and not some monster who wants to eat him. Holding millet spray in your hand for him to eat is a good way to make friends. Since Arlo is so nervous, let him watch Kiki doing it for a while before you offer the spray to Arlo. Millet spray is long, and you can adjust your grip so he can snack on the seeds without getting too close to the hand. Then gradually adjust your grip so he has to get closer to the hand to eat.

·
Registered
165 Posts
My cockatiels will master fly inside room within about 1 month starting their first flight. Your situation is a quiet puzzle to me.

In case you want to clip the wing feathers, please only clip first a few primary feathers. I had one cockatiel came to me with secondary wing feathers clipped. He still can fly but he has no ability to slowdown, and crushing landing badly, think about driving a care without break.....

1 - 5 of 5 Posts