Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My boy has been plucking a bit less in the last few days. :) I am excited, as I really hope he will stop altogether. I keep him in my room also while playing the piano now, so he is always under my supervision. And I am spoiling him more than usual. :)
He already has quite a few pin feathers where he used to pluck, but not everywhere... Are they supposed to grow back in uniform patterns? Does it mean that the bald areas have damaged follicles? I hope not, and that they don't grow back all at the same time, but I wanted to be sure.
Thanks!

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
The plucked area is around his neck, right? The feathering in the crop area tends to be rather sparse anyway, so it may just be that you're seeing areas that are naturally uneven. It can also take longer for some feathers to grow back depending on how inflamed the follicle was. My rescue girl Roo was plucked 100% bald by other birds in her cage, and it took over a year for her to regrow all of her feathers once she was in my care. So I wouldn't assume those feathers will never grow in, just that it may be taking longer. :)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, the area is around his neck and his chest (as well as a bit under his wings, but he never had many feathers there anyway, just some fluff).
I hope they will grow back too. He is such a handsome kid. I know he can do it. In just a few days he has improved tremendously. :)

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Yep! Unfortunately my other rescue girl went from perfect feathering to plucking herself bald, so...win some, lose some, I guess.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I will give him so much love and cuddles he will forget about plucking. He is currently plucking ME (my jumper and my vest), and he been plucking me all day!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Yep! Unfortunately my other rescue girl went from perfect feathering to plucking herself bald, so...win some, lose some, I guess.
I saw a pic of a naked parrotlet once... He head was perfectly feathers and not so much a a bit of lint on the rest of his body... Odd looking little guy.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I will give him so much love and cuddles he will forget about plucking. He is currently plucking ME (my jumper and my vest), and he been plucking me all day!
Awww! I wish that worked for Odette, but I can't be home with her during the day and even if I was, I think that would just stress her out more. I've never seen a 'tiel as traumatized as she was when I first took her as a foster, so it's not really surprising.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
How long does it take for pin feathers to develop into normal feathers? :)

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Depends on the size of the feather, but at least a couple weeks.

ETA: Well, some tiny head/face feathers might be faster, but you get the idea.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks. I cannot wait to see a few feathers on his neck and chest! :)

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
Just FYI, Odette does fine with pin feathers for about a week, then plucks them when the sheaths start flaking and getting itchy. So you may want to be extra careful with your boy in a week or so and make sure he has plenty of distractions. :)

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just FYI, Odette does fine with pin feathers for about a week, then plucks them when the sheaths start flaking and getting itchy. So you may want to be extra careful with your boy in a week or so and make sure he has plenty of distractions. :)
Yes, unfortunately this has been happening for quite a while (it is not the first time he has pin feathers), but this time I am paying more attention.
Unfortunately today I had to rush out for an emergency and 1 or 2 pin feathers on the right side have gone, but he has more on the other side.
He actually doesn't look that bad before eating. After eating of course when his crop is full you see how naked he is.
I think he might also start moulting again, but I am not sure yet. He has shed a couple of tiny feathers today.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
You can also ties moulted feathers together in a bunch and attaché them to the cage where he sits to pluck, sometimes they will chew the molted feathers instead of their own.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You can also ties moulted feathers together in a bunch and attaché them to the cage where he sits to pluck, sometimes they will chew the molted feathers instead of their own.
Good idea. I actually still have all the tail feathers he broke as a baby. I don't want to use them all as they have a sentimental value (like the first teeth of a child), but I could use a couple of them.

Today I also noticed that a couple of the pin feathers are now tiny real feathers. I am so proud of him!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts