Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
...that my little chick is a Lutino Pearl. Am I correct? If so, does this mean that Larry Bird is split to pearl?

I am posting pix of mom/Candy Cane (whiteface) and dad/Larry Bird (Lutino) as well as baby “Peeps” and closeup of pin feathers, and a photo of Larry from 2014 when he was a baby (unfortunately, I don’t have a photo of his back from then).

·
Registered
37 Posts

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
Lutino for sure. I can't tell about the pearl, you'll have to wait for the chick to finish feathering out. The tips of baby pinfeathers always look white.

If the baby turns out to be pearl, it does mean that dad is split to pearl.

We know that this baby is a girl, because mom is not lutino. A lutino mother is required to get a lutino boy.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What made me ask whether or not she’s a Lutino Pearl was this piece of information I found online by srtiels (Ms. Russo) while doing my research on egg laying, eggs, hatching, chick care etc.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
Just wait and see. It can be hard to get an accurate idea of the color by looking at pinfeathers. You'll know more after the chick has finished feathering out.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just updating this thread. Here are some photos of my little peepster whom we decided to name Natsuki (Japanese for ‘summer hope’).

The first one is from July 21, 2019 and the second and third photos from today, July 24th. Natsuki is 22 days old today.

P.S. Momma had to be removed from the cage as she was plucking Natsuki’s head and during a supervised visit since, she tried to either preen or pluck a wing feather, but the chick jerked away so quickly with fear that we decided to keep them separated until Natsuki is much older. Ironically, we always joked how Candy (momma) didn’t even know how to bite because she was always so sweet and gentle and dad, whom is now taking care of Natsuki, is the bird to stay away from because he bites everyone. Lol. Life is funny sometimes.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In the past few days I’ve noticed something else about Natsuki’s coloring which now has me asking if she is also Cinnamon or Fallow besides being Lutino pearl.

Since I have no experience whatsoever with those mutations besides what I’m trying to find online, I once again ask all of you. Is it just me or do her flight feathers look more beige rather than cream?

Also, if she does have one of these mutations, would I be correct in believing that (A) it’s probably Cinnamon? (B) If Cinnamon, then it means her father is split to that, along with pearl, and this is a cross over? (C) On the very off chance that she’s Fallow, does that mean that both mom and dad are split to it?

Just trying to figure out what’s going on here.

P.S. The very tips of her tail feathers are darker from rubbing against the side of the nest box. Also, we’re waiting for the feathers that mom plucked out, behind her crest, to grow back.

Attachments

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I actually took a closer look at dad (he’s a biter nine times out of ten, so we usually give him his space the majority of the time) tonight after my last post. I usually take photos in the morning light instead of in the early evening like tonight, but anyways, I discovered something I’ve somehow never noticed before. Larry Bird seems to have a wash of slightly darker color, too, over his wings.

Now I’ll have to go digging around on my computer to find old photos of him. Lol. I can’t believe I’ve never noticed this before! And I used to pride myself on my ‘artist’s eye’ at differentiating color. smh

But now I’m questioning if he’s split or a visual of something besides Lutino.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
Looks like dad is cinnamon lutino, which means that all his daughters will be too. I don't think it's fallow - lutino lets a little bit of cinnamon color show through because of a special relationship with the enzyme that causes cinnamon, but it's not known to do this with any other mutation. Plus fallow eyes are a brighter red than lutino eyes.

Here's an article on the enzyme situation with cinnamon and lutino: http://www.littlefeatheredbuddies.com/info/breed-coloration2.html#cinnamonlutino If you want more details on which enzymes are involved, check the sections on lutino and cinnamon in that article.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts