Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello! I know that it's really difficult to tell what gender pieds are; I've read that males can maintain the tail barring for a long time, but I was wondering - can females get solid grey tail feathers?

I've been looking for a tiel and found a really sweet pied. The pictures its owner sent me aren't really clear, but I'll go see it in person later today. From what I could see in the pics, it had at least a couple solid grey tail feathers. It's about 8-9 months old.

So, do those feathers indicate a male or is there no way to know? Also, are there any other signs I should look for? Thanks!

·
Registered
10,886 Posts
If the feathers are solid grey you can be confident that it's a boy. The regular rules apply to feathers that lose their markings - it's the ones that DON'T lose their markings that we can't be sure about.

It needs to be a solid grey though. My pied boy has grizzled feathers on his tail which really could go either way. He's proved his gender in other ways, but I wouldn't point at his tail feathers as proof of maleness.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply tielfan! I got to see the bird and it still had barring on the tail, I guess the pics played a trick on my eyes.. From what the owner told me, I think it might have been a female

1 - 3 of 3 Posts