Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
So lutinos have the yellow tail feathers with a line of grey/black through it right? i found a feather near Wendy's tail about an inch and a half long and it was all yellow, except it had a black line down the shaft! She also has a half pied feather that is an actual tail feather. it is yellow on one side and grey on the other :eek: this girl confuses me!!! I will upload pictures soon!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A pied- Lutino feather?(pics added)

I changed the title for this post because it was kinda backwards haha :D
here are some pics!!
In this first pic, the longest feather with the line down it is actually a tail feather and the EDGE of the feather is dark. weird right? but when it comes to this shorter feather, the dark is right down the middle! She is pied as far as i know, not lutino! i have only heard of this in lutinos!

Also she is molting, so some of her feathers look pretty cool!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes i know that! this is why i am confused! did you read the description? Wendy is PIED so how do i explain this lutino-like feather?
oh and the mini pearl wings? haha she is molting. it looks like pearls! -wait...just to be sure... could she get random pearls throughout her life? lol!

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
Lutino feathers dont have a dark line down them....see? Btw Wendy is very pretty:D

I think you are thinking of pearl tail feathers?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
maybe? i thought i heard somewhere that Lutino feathers had the line down them. You are probably right :D haha you are right, i just checked, it is pearls not lutinos!!! sorry!! LOL so wait, Could Wendy be pearl too? she IS female, and look at those wings! but could females lose their pearls at all??

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I believe pearl tail feathers have the black vein...could she be a pearl pied with very little actual pearling?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yes she could be pearl and have very few pearls. Well thats what i found affter looking threw a few old fourms... http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=13002 In the 4th post Srtiels said "I have the opposite problem of non-pearled hens molting in a few pearls" and in the 5th post Katan said "I didn't know that non-pearled hens could sometimes moult in pearls, that's interesting" So yup looks like they can have very few pearls :)

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
She could be what's called an incomplete pearl, if you look through lperry82's photos, her Dumpling is an incomplete pearl.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
I have a baby that is an “incomplete pearl”.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
That baby is just as gorgeous as a complete pearl. :love:

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wow so she could molt in random pearls at any time? Thats what it looks like on her wing right now!( pics in second post) so wendy is actually pearl pied??

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Thats what it looks like on her wing right now!

If the feathers are coming on the white wing bar they are not pearling. They are molted in displaced random (lack of the proper term) feathers. The wing bar should be clear of any dark feathers...but since she is a pied, random molting in of the dark feathers can occur sometimes.

In regards to a pearl feather it will always have some lipochrome (yellow pigment to it) and the majority of the feather will have melanin pigment (dark color) to create a varigated pattern.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
You lost me there a bit...she has more then just one i noticed this morning, under that huge top pied tailfeather,there are more mixed feathers( meanin one actal feather has a dar line,yellow And grey mixed into the one feather) but there are mulitiple. Of she is not pearl at all how do you explain this? Sorry for my stupidity! And. Thanks for changing the thread name!!

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
there are more mixed feathers
----------------------------------

Those feathers are normal because she is a normal (meaning grey) light (meaning less light than dark feathers) pied.

The yellow one with the dark vein is not pied, but more of what may be seen on a pearl. Genetically a pearl can have as little as one pearled feather to the body plumage. That odd feather may be her pearled feather.

In order to confirm she is a pearl (pearl pied) she would have to be paired with a pearl male, and then all babies would have pearling on them. If not, she is not these odd feathers are not pearl, and hens can't be split to pearl.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for stupifying that for me:) i will never know, she has no interest in breeding

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
I have a baby that is an “incomplete pearl”.
----------------------------------
Sloace...can you check his wing flights. Sometimes, on rare occassions they may not have any dots/spots if males.
Sorry, only just seen this. I just checked his wing flights and there are 2 (very faded) dots on 2 of his wing flights on one wing, but the other wing has no spots at all.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Here are some pictures of Wendy JIC
Her back

Her wing(if this is useful at all with the flash...)

underside to the tail, Meanboy decided that he was going to show off his wings that day to, Singerboy did it to! all three of them decided ON THE SAME DAY, AT THE SAME TIME i was taking pictures to fling their wings into the air!

a good picture of her back side and the off tail feathers. INCLUDING the half pied feather!

Side

Tail and lower back

1 - 20 of 21 Posts