Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am still shocked at what might have happened today.
I saw my boy roaming on the floor picking at stuff and didn't want him to do that because it can be dangerous. He was probably about 2m from me.
I wanted to stand up from my chair, so I put down my foot and felt something under it, then heard a loud protest. It was my boy RIGHT under my foot. If I had completely stood up I could have squashed him... I cannot even remotely imagine how devastated I would have been. What an unbearable thought. He was 2m from me just a sec before I wanted to stand up... But I should have looked first...

I am so grateful nothing happened. I bent down and gave him my hand when I noticed and told him I was sorry and he climbed up my arm and started grinding his beak... :love:

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
**Madly nods her head** That's happened to me, too. Those cockatiels sure move fast! It's usually Mindwipe who's the culprit, but her mate is often there, too, so I have to reaaaallllly watch where I put my feet.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have to ALWAYS pay attention (also when I sit down for example) because he is my shadow. :)
He is always up to something, a real pocket rocket (he is 7 but has the energy of a 1-year old).

EDIT: I am now an "adult" (1000 posts). :)

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
I once stepped on Jaid. I stepped back and felt softness and then heard Jaid scream. Luckily my foot just touched him, but it was scary

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Phew

Wow, I am glad what could have happened didn't! I have had some close ones, too. I did step on my lutino hen's tail one time: she "fright molted" all her tail feathers in a perfect fan on the floor. I am so thankful the worst I had to deal with was a stumpy, tail-less 'tiel for a while.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I have kicked my parrotlet across the room before,,, well pushed more like it as there was no force... luckily I don't pick my feet up high or I would of stepped on him, I try to discourage my birds from the floor

·
Registered
66 Posts
You forget they are little feathered raptors until you seen one run full speed, its funny seeing a cockatiel burn out on hardwood floors.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I once stepped on Jaid. I stepped back and felt softness and then heard Jaid scream. Luckily my foot just touched him, but it was scary
Yes, it was the same with me. I felt something soft and at first I thought it was something he had knocked off my desk (he does that all the time!), then I heard a high-pitched scream and was really scared...

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow, I am glad what could have happened didn't! I have had some close ones, too. I did step on my lutino hen's tail one time: she "fright molted" all her tail feathers in a perfect fan on the floor. I am so thankful the worst I had to deal with was a stumpy, tail-less 'tiel for a while.
I didn't know they can do that if they are scared!

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
You should see my boy when I enter the room with millet spray. A real raptor tiel! I can't even put it in the cage because he jumps on my hand and starts eating it.
Sounds cute, the little one in the video is a baby who will be 4 weeks old on Saturday.... He was hungry...lol They know the food is in that cup!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Sounds cute, the little one in the video is a baby who will be 4 weeks old on Saturday.... He was hungry...lol They know the food is in that cup!
Smart baby!

Oh, my boy is so lucky. When I first bought him I put the cage on the balcony and somehow he managed to open it! I walked past the balcony and to my deepest horror I saw him peacefully strolling on the balcony. He must have noticed me as he also looked at me. I still remember very well.
I was really scared because the balcony door makes a lot of noise and I was afraid to scare him (his wings were clipped, but he could have fallen off the balcony). Luckily he was still a baby, not hormonal at all and was having a good day, so I managed to open the balcony door and put him back in the cage. Now I always use a peg to close his door when I go out (I don't put the cage on the balcony any more).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts