Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We have a serious problem with mice in our house and I don't want to bring pest control to our home without me first knowing about what will be put in their room (because I think they require every room in the house to be treated and I don't have any place to put them) It's either the pest control or we're going to have a cat temporarily come to exterminate them (of course the cat won't be present when I have my cockatiels in the room) I am just wondering what I should do because I am highly disturbed at what I saw in the camera's night vision when they were trying to climb the legs of the cage.It's like watching a horror movie and I would like to know from other cockatiel owners what they do/did to deal with mice in the house. No glues/traps have worked. They don't even care that we're making noise, walking , the lights being lit...They still dare to show themselves and I am so mad after watching my little tiels put up with this all this time that I don't have room left in me to be disgusted/scared and I would catch them if I could like a cat would.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Cats don't always chase mice. If you want to bring in an animal, use a rat terrier, or some kind of terrier. they were bred to catch rats. Also, look into getting rat-proof containers. We had a rat problem, and they were attracted to the bird food. I got a rat-proof container at the pet store and they haven't messed with the food since :) Also, we had a terrier that was great at catching all the rodents.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I can simply get the rat-proof containers but it doesn't change the fact that they were trying to climb on their cage, and that would have still continued if I didn't put duct tape around them from quick thinking. We already have set up Tomcat Glue and Victor traps at various areas but there is nothing because they know their stuff hence not getting caught at all. Also, my mom has cynophobia so bringing a dog is not possible.

They're still in the house and I am trying to find if there is an actual bird friendly pest control to call?

·
Registered
325 Posts
Get the snapping traps they are quick killing and more humane than poisoning the mice

1 - 5 of 5 Posts