Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is everything OK?

Hi guys, I just got Cookie 1 1/2 weeks ago. I was wondering what kind of personalities tiels have. Cookie is eating just about anything that I put in the cage, corn, kale,broccoli, dill, dandelion leaves. apples, oranges you name it. Anyway, he's not very active. The only time he moves around is when he wants to eat something or when he preens. I bought him from a breeder that hand fed him, so he is finger tame, he's about 3 1/2 months old. He likes to sit on my shoulder, but he just sits.
I have two budgies, so I am used to birds being playful and active. It's not that I'm disapointed in him, it's that I'm worried that something is wrong. If this is what his personality is like then it's a nice change from my hyper budgies. Or could it also be that he has not adjusted yet? See I keep thinking since he is tame, then he should feel right at home, but I'm probably wrong. What do you guys think? Oh , and his feathers are not smooth, they are always slightly fluffed up, is he cold?

·
Registered
4,700 Posts
could be he needs more time or maybe he is a she there are times when my youngest female will just sit on my shoulder and try and preen my faceial hairs to the point of her yanking them out but all and all she to is quiet but he/she may need more time to adjust

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
You have only had him a short time so he could still be adjusting to his new home, its good that he is eating well, the only thing I would be concerned about is his ruffled feathers some fluffing up is normal but he shouldn't be always fluffed up it could be a sign of illness.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here are some pics of Cookie. Does he look OK? I remember When I brought Charlie (budgie)home, he had ruffled feathers for about 2 weeks , when he settled in he became smooth. Has anyone experienced this?

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
It could just be that he's a shy baby in a new home. Are his poops normal? If they are that's what i would be inclined to think. Another thing you could do is get a set of digital kitchen scales and see how much he weighs so you can monitor his weight weekly or fortnightly. He should be somewhere from 80-120g (massive range, i know). Once you've figured out what "normal" is for him it will be easy to monitor.

It's also worth mentioning that tiels aren't playful like budgies are, budgies are 100% action all day long, they even talk while they sleep!! :p They jump around, bash toys, etc. None of my tiels do that, and no tiel i've met does that. They're all much less bouncy but much more cuddly.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Allen, what are ''pearls''? What type of tiel do I have? Cookies poop is normal. He's eating wonderfully. Do sick birds eat normally? Oh, and he sleeps alot. that stuff on his beak is corn. He is a very messy corn eater.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I have a white face pearl but just to show you if yours is a male which is what I have when they start there first moult at around 6 months they will start to lose the pearling on there backs.

Before the moult

After his first moult

·
Registered
2,591 Posts
I would say that it will take some time for your baby to settle in, if he is eating well and his poo's are normal, I wouldn't worry. But if he changes, poo's are runny, and not eating I would go an take him for a avian vet visit! :D

It's also worth mentioning that tiels aren't playful like budgies are, budgies are 100% action all day long, they even talk while they sleep!! :p They jump around, bash toys, etc. None of my tiels do that, and no tiel i've met does that. They're all much less bouncy but much more cuddly.
I have to disagree, Earl is up on the morning dancing at the bottom of tha cage, wolf whistling, climbing on the bars, he is doing that right this minute. As for Little Bill :wacko: he is sitting on his perch chatting with his eyes closed! Earl must be hyper-active! :blink: Lol! :lol:

·
Registered
30 Posts
I was about to post something similar. My tiel (Phillip) does the same...he is very quiet and just sits on top of his cage...he really hates being inside his cage. I got him at the end of March and he still fairly young (he is only 3 months old)

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I have to disagree, Earl is up on the morning dancing at the bottom of tha cage, wolf whistling, climbing on the bars, he is doing that right this minute. As for Little Bill :wacko: he is sitting on his perch chatting with his eyes closed! Earl must be hyper-active! :blink: Lol! :lol:
Tiels will still play, just not to the same level as most budgies. Little Bill is a show (or part show at least), and they're bred to be more placid and laid back. ;)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.