Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone.

I know that there is no need to give vitamin/mineral supplements if you are giving your bird pellets, since they are getting all their nutritional needs met in the pellets.

But, if they are getting all their nutritional needs met in pellets, do I still need to provide fresh veggies and fruit?

·
Registered
672 Posts
I personally found that not all pellets meet the nutritional needs of every cockatiel. Fresh is always preferable to packaged and processed if you can offer it. I feed zupreem fruit pellets in addition to a seed mix and the daily fresh/cooked meal. One of my birds refuses to eat any pellet that is colored red, two others will pick out only the red and green and leave the yellow. The one who won't eat red pellets adores red peppers. They're a persnickety lot. LOL. By offering a large assortment of foods, they stay very healthy and happy. Also, depending on the pellet brands, each one has different nutritional values and processes to provide those suppliments. Also, regardless of what you feed, you should always provide cuttlebone or a mineral block to provide calcium.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Yes, a variety is always needed and a full pellet diet is not recommended. Tiels really aren't fans of fruits but will love veggies and you can give them boiled eggs as well, just removed the yoke. You can make it a game for them, like make foraging toys with food in it.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the advice.

I have the bird since Friday and he is eating the seed mix the breeder had him on. I guess I should email her since she never told me what brand she uses....
I am going to try to convert him to a pellet/seed mix.

The pellet brand I am going to use is Harrison's. I have heard they are a really good brand and are completely organic.

I read some where that if they are on pellets, a cuttle bone should not be given since they could get too much a certain vitamin/mineral and it will become toxic....is that not true?

It's so overwhelming because I read and see sooooo many different websites and books and people that tell me conflicting advice. AH!! :p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts