Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lorenzo seems to be getting picky about his pellets. I normally feed him either fruity Zupreem pellets or another fruity pellet brand that I currently don't remember the name of. He decided he does not like the bigger sized pellets anymore and picks out the small ones. Essentially he's wasting half of his food. I've seen that some people feed a parakeet sized pellet to their tiels. Is that okay to do? I'm tired of buying pellets so much because he refuses to eat some of them.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Lorenzo seems to be getting picky about his pellets. I normally feed him either fruity Zupreem pellets or another fruity pellet brand
It's usually better to buy regular pellets; I asked the founder of my bird rescue about fruity pellets because Kirby wouldn't eat fruits or veggies, but she said that it isn't real and just messes up their poop coloring meaning that if they get sick it can be harder to discern what's wrong with them. I can't say for sure that yours is like that, I don't know if all "fruity" pellets are the same, but it might be safe to stick with the regular stuff, just in case.

Also, you can see in the stores which pellets are meant for cockatiels and which are meant for bigger birds. Does the bag of food you have say that it's specifically for cockatiels? It can be for other birds too, so long as "cockatiel" is listed on there. It's possible that the type your buying for him is meant for bigger birds, hence his picking out the smaller pellets.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
I usually buy Vetafarm mini pellets. He doesn't like all colours, but it is enough if he eats some of them... :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
I'm actually giving the B14 instead of g14 pellets from versele-laga.g14 shows a cockatiel and b14 a budgie. But she never ate the cockatiel ones cause of size. The budgie ones are super small and she loves them. Nutritionally they are pretty much the same.

You can always check the ingredients and vitamins that they provide if the lists are the same then go for a budgie pellet size.

Best regards, Noekeon & Kana!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the responses everyone! The bag has a cockatiel on it. The bag says cockatiel and lovebird formula. Some of the pellets are a little bigger about 3/4 of an inch long. He refuses to eat those and sticks with the little ones. Figured if I could just get the budgie sized pellets he would eat all of them and I would not be wasting so much.

I have tried regular pellets with him multiple times. He refuses to eat them and will only eat the colored ones. I also offer him Nutriberries daily.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
Does Lorenzo eat the Nutriberries? Joey won't touch them as they are, but if I crumble them, he eats them like a starving piglet.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Zupreem fruit blend is the same formula across all the sizes... Size and or shape is the only difference.
That's what I thought and why I figured it would be okay to switch to the smaller pellets. I tried comparing the ingredients at the store but there were way too many too read. Lol. Figured I would just ask on here to double check and make sure!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts