Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, question.

Spooky likes to perch on my hand. I've realized if any of my fingers move too much while he is there it upsets him and he'll peck/bite. Ok, no big deal; I keep my fingers and thumb folded and stationary while he's there. But often, he starts furiously pecking at my fingers anyway!

At first I thought it was because he felt ignored (he sometimes sits on my hand while I'm at the computer), but he does it when I'm paying attention to him directly as well. Does anyone else's bird so this? Is it something I should ignore to get him to stop? Or should I simply remove him from my hand?

He perches on my hand voluntarily, and usually is resistant to step down to an alternate perch, which is why I thought it was attention-related but now I'm not so sure.

His aggression on the whole has improved dramatically. Outside some beak-opening that rarely escalates into full on biting and an unsettling lunge at my face the other day when I turned my head while he was on my shoulder, so probably my fault?) he's been much better.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Gosh, I don't know how to fix this but I do know what you're talking about. Murray only does this when she's very hormonal (like right now!) and I pick her up. She steps up voluntarily just like your little guy. She might even sit still for a moment...but then it's like she's just frustrated in general and takes it out on me, kind of how some tiels do to their feet! Is Spooky hormonal, do you think, or is this a long term behaviour?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Sounds hormonal to me. Is he on any kind of hormone control?

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
My boy sometimes does it too when he is hormonal, but luckily not with my fingers. He sort of pecks at my jumper (near the cuff). Sometimes he looks pretty annoyed and grumpy while doing this!

·
Registered
182 Posts
My boy Ringo sits on my fingers but will sometimes have scratches behind the head while I say 'good boy - who is a good boy' - but then turn and get all nippy and bitey. He bites at the air too. He's so hormonal and now flies ONTO my girl Lucy who is as sweet as can be.

I've found a trick if he's on my hand and gets like that - curl your hand in - twist it. It throws them off and shows them it's not ok. It's working for me. He gets all nippy and I bunch my hand up leaving him a little off balance - plus I say 'ugh ugh' strictly so he knows it's wrong.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts