Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me, or are there other people on this board that think pearl pieds have a more calm layed back attitude compared to say just a plain pearl or other mutations? I had a beautiful yellow pearl pied male awhile back that was less than a year old before we lost him. I now have a white face peal pied that's about 5 months old and both seem to have the same kind of easy going temperament.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
My cinnamon pearl pied Mabel is very easygoing and chilled out, she was like that from day one and she was never hand raised or handled as a baby. But in general I don't think mutation has anything to do with temperament - it's more about inheriting personality and temperament traits from their parents. There's some debate on this but it's said that if the parents are easygoing and calm birds, then the babies are likely to be, too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmmm Very interesting. Thank you for sharing that. I guess I just have a thing for pearl pieds.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
My whiteface cinnamon pied Shelby was pretty feral when I first got him at 11 weeks old. He would scream whenever I changed his food and water and once I got a nasty bite from him out of the blue where he latched onto my finger and wouldn't let go. However, he is 1 year old now and his tempermant has completely changed. He's like a different bird! He has no problem with me getting up close and personal with him (he's still a hands-off bird at the moment though) and loves having conversations with me, and he's picked up quite an extensive vocabulary of various songs and whistles, a lot of which my partner and I have taught him.

The 1st attached photo is from the day I brought him home as a newly-weaned baby, and the 2nd is him now. Sorry it uploaded upside down for some reason? :blush:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
pearl pied

Bennie is a pearl pied and he definitely is laid back. He is the first male I have owned. My previous 2 'tiels were females: one a normal gray and the other a lutino. The lutino got really hormonal and aggressive at times (I didn't know about hormone control and lighting then) but otherwise she was sweet and calm. The gray was a long time ago, but I think she was pretty calm, too.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting post's ladies. Out of the four tiels we have now, Kiwi is the turd of the bunch! He is now a full grown normal gray. His moods seem to change like the weather. While he's sweet sometimes, the next he will attack with a nasty bite! I think a lot of the problem is, he has semi-bonded with Pepper...our only female. While it seems Kiwi WANTS to be a daddy, Pepper doesn't want to be a mother! She is now over a year old, and has never layed a single egg. Thinking the two HAD bonded for sure, we put them together in the same cage for about a month....until Pepper came up with some missing feathers near her ear patch. We don't know if Kiwi had anything to do with that, but for safety, we separated them again. This may have confused poor Kiwi so I really can't put all the blame on him.

·
Registered
15 Posts
My first tiel was a pearl pied. I've had a pearl hen, CC who is passed now and my Shiloh is a pearl hen. I'm really partial to pearls. I'm not sure if CC was or Shiloh is pied. They do/did have the small feathers underneath that are black and the primary feathers are black at the tips so if that makes them pied, then they are. I find that their temperaments are very laid-back and easy-going, too. I've had 2 other hens, one a white face female and the other I'm not sure the split. They definitely weren't as laid back. Sweet but not like my pearls.

Cathy and Shiloh

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
A feather with black tips is not a pied feather - pied feathers don't have any dark coloring or markings at all. It's common for pearl feathers to have dark tips though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts