Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Quick question: are peanuts an important part of a cockatiel's diet? Just worried since I am very allergic to peanuts, if I eat them I go through anaphylactic shock and touching them causes hives, itching, sneezing, etc.

I'm also slightly allergic to other nuts but no where near as bad as peanuts and I only have problems if I inject the nuts, handling them is fine.

So yeah, are peanuts necessary in a cockatiel's diet or is it ok to skip them and offer other sources of protein/vitamins?

Thank you :)

·
Registered
1,042 Posts
I know fresh peanuts are bad for cockatiels because of a possible mold on the outer shell. I think its safe to say peanuts can be skipped entirely, especially if they can potentially be so dangerous to you too. They aren't a necessary or needed part of the diet, they can get those nutrients elsewhere.

Hope this helps. I read about the peanuts here, its a great site for all things 'tiel:
http://www.cockatielcottage.net/hazards.html

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
Cockatiel food doesn't contain peanuts. Too much of it isn't healthy either. If your food contains it, I recommend buying a different brand. None of the brands I bought contained peanuts.

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ahh that's great, thank you!

I've made sure the brand of seeds I'll buy does not contain nuts but I'm glad to know that I don't have to provide them fresh, or any form, of peanuts.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts