Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It was raised during Snickers growth that he could be a pastelface, and i am not convinced one way or the other. So here are a few photos, sometimes his cheeks look really pale and other times they look quite orange.

So what do we think...?

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Hmmm good question :p the Pastelface mutation gives a diluted effect on the yellow and orange colourings making it a more lemon colour and the cheek patches a peachy colour I am not sure if its just the grey on his cheek patches diluting the orange making it look lighter hard to say, I am not expert on this one :p I found this picture which does look similiar to Snickers but I am not quite sold on the pastelface with him his head seems to be more of a bright yellow.

Its a Pastelface light Pied Male.
http://images.google.ca/imgres?imgu...refox-a&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&hs=Eo8

Just click on the full size at the top to see him
And here is another one
http://members.optusnet.com.au/~geoffwatts/photogallery/Pastelface light pied.JPG

·
Registered
756 Posts
I´d say just because of the pied.... and he´s a much lighter orange...

my Maui being pied female has very brigh cheek patches (I thought was a male at first)... and Jack also pied has paler cheeks... although you can see they are orange.... so maybe lil Snickers is just a paler paler version of orange cheeks... and pastelfaces look more yellowy than orangy

hey!! look what I found... something to look at.. very interesting...

" Whiteface was the first mutation to be successfully reproduced that had a dramatic effect on the cheek patch color. Whiteface is an autosomal recessive mutation that removes all yellow and orange coloration. It has been noted that some splits to whiteface will have a lighter orange cheek patch. The cheek patch is still orange but lacks some of the intensity that would be exhibited by a cockatiel that has no splits to whiteface. This reduction of color in the cheek patch has also been noted in cinnamon. This type of reduction of intensity is subtle and should not be confused with the new mutations that produce a peach or yellow colored cheek patch."

Pastel is sometimes referred to as dominant pastel since it is complimentary to white face. Pastel is not dominant over ANY other color mutations. Pastel is an autosomal mutation that occupies the same space or "rung" on the genetic ladder as the white face gene. Each rung on the ladder has two halves. Each half can hold one gene. This particular half rung can hold one normal gene, or one white face gene, or one pastel gene. The opposing half can also hold one of these three genes. One complete rung can only hold a total of two genes.

Visual Pastel occurs when a cockatiel has either two pastel genes OR if it has one white face gene and one pastel gene. A cockatiel with only one pastel gene but no white face gene would still have an orange cheek patch. This phenomenon is called "complimentary" since these genes "work together". The white face gene replaces the normal dominant "orange cheek patch gene" on one ;half of the rung. This allows the otherwise recessive pastel gene to do its magic on the other half. ;In this case it is recommended to breed pastel to white face to give 50% pastel and 50% white face babies. Pastels can also be bred together to get 75% pastels.

http://www.acstiels.com/Articles/Genetics/gen7.html

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
" Whiteface was the first mutation to be successfully reproduced that had a dramatic effect on the cheek patch color. Whiteface is an autosomal recessive mutation that removes all yellow and orange coloration. It has been noted that some splits to whiteface will have a lighter orange cheek patch. The cheek patch is still orange but lacks some of the intensity that would be exhibited by a cockatiel that has no splits to whiteface. This reduction of color in the cheek patch has also been noted in cinnamon. This type of reduction of intensity is subtle and should not be confused with the new mutations that produce a peach or yellow colored cheek patch."
:excited: That seems like a perfect explanation!! I'm impressed with your research!!

·
Registered
581 Posts
Hmmm... I was the one who got that pastelface bug in your head, and I am not sure anymore... :blush: lol

It is definately lighter that a normal (so non-dirty faced) pied, such as Bailee... and even my (well, Duckie's now) Maya. She was a semi dirty faced pied, and her cheek spots were always bright. From the time when she was growing in her feathers, to even now. She too is guaranteed split to whiteface, so I am not sure if that rule applies that huskymom found :confused:

Personally, I now think he is a normal pied (with a dirty face) and not pastelface like I use to think. The cheek spots would be lighter than what they are if he was a true pf, and I think Snickers' will only get brighter/bolder as time goes on. Much like Bailee and other pied birds went through ;)

Kirby

·
Registered
243 Posts
I'd say no. The cheek patches just look far too red to be a pastelface.. Pastelfaces are more orange-ish. But you've already got your answers from everyone else. ;) Pieds generally look like they have lighter cheek patches.

·
Registered
756 Posts
now I´m wondering if my Jack is split WF.... hhhmmm... as his cheek patch is paler than normal....

and Maui is just a regular pied with very bright cheek patches....

·
Registered
581 Posts
Husky mom, that rule is not true :p

It may be, but its not a definate way to tell is they are split/hidden to wf. That is the key word here 'hidden' so there is NO VISUAL WAY to see if they have the gene. Pied is the only mutation that this applies to (as the gene will be a marking on the back of the head usually, but can also be other places. Such as a toe nail, a foot, or a breast feather)...

Kirby :)

·
Registered
756 Posts
LOL.... yeah I know it´s not a rule.. but as the link and as Bea repeated... in SOME cases... and I´m wondering if Jack is one of those SOME cases... hmm...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts