Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've mentioned before that I'm getting a pastelface. Well! One woman is going to be breeding some soon and I can get one of those but both parents are pastelface. And A guy I've just contacted has some and I haven't checked but I think his breeding pair are a whiteface and a pastel face. Question is: is it better to have two pastel face parents or one wf and one pastel? Does two pastel parents result in smaller babies or have any health implications?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone know? Both breeders, I've now found out, are breeding pastel to pastel. Is that an issue or are the chicks just as healthy?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Personally I prefer a pastelface to whiteface or split pastelface combination. It's never really recommended to breed like to like

·
Registered
648 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Why is that? I know it can produce smaller weaker babies but I dont understand why as much. Also I had it in my head for some reason that that applied mostly to mutations such as lutino, is that wrong?
Is there any difference in the appearance of pastel to pastel babies and pastel to wf babies?
I'm not sure I'll have much of a choice in the end as pastel is so hard to come by, these seem to be the only breeders here, but I'd like to know anyway

·
Registered
103 Posts
There is a belief that breeding pastel to pastel can produce smaller babies and have higher mortality rates. Most pastelface in Australia is split wf anyway, so I wouldn't really worry about it too much

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
The idea is that smaller, weaker babies can affect any mutation, not just lutino or pearl. The point of breeding is to better the species, not make smaller weaker birds. Have either one of the breeders bred these pairs before? If they have, I would ask to see the previous babies to get a gauge on how healthy yours will be.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts