Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day all,

Here's an updated picture of Louie, the stunted little one that needed assistance a few weeks ago in my previous thread. And thanks to everyone's replies, and especially srtiels's expertise, Louie's caught up in the weight count and ends up eating the most and outweighs the other 2.

And according to the wing spot check, all 3 are boys.

The oldest is a gray split to pied, the youngest is a pied, but what about Louie? I would like some confirmation that he is a pastel? pastel split to WF? I thought I noticed some light yellow where his white spots are, but when put side by side with the pied, you can tell the spot on Louie's head is noticeably whiter...

As always, any input is much appreciated! Thanks!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Yes he looks like a pastelface...I don't see any white edging around his cheek patches.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have a gray split to pied male with both a lutino and pastel female. So Louie most likely came from the pastel mother.

I'm just curious if the white spot on the neck/underneath the head is an indication for anything?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
That's called a tick mark and it means he's split to pied. Dad is split to WF, that's why Louie is a PF.

·
Registered
11,093 Posts
Adorable baby!
Glad he is doing well too. :)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Solace! I'm so relieved and happy I was able to help.

I'm still a bit unsure about Louie actually. Is he a pastelface? or pastelface split to whiteface? and what would be a good pairing for him?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
He's a PF...PF and WF are co-dominant, with PF being dominant to WF. So if you paired a PF with a WF, you would get a PF baby. Because of this, the baby wouldn't be split to WF, I don't think, I'm still iffy on that one works, as my only PF male has yet to breed and I intend on pairing him with a WF hen. Besides that the baby's not fully feathered yet, so his cheeks are hard to tell. Once he's weaned, some good clear shots will help determine that. If he has a white ring around his cheek patches, then he's split to WF and that would answer the question! But yes, by that color, he's a PF.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks roxy culver... I was thinking of pairing him with a WF female as well. I will update with more pictures in a few weeks for better verification.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thank you srtiels! and thanks to you, he's eating like a champ! just took his first flights yesterday actually! :D

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
You are welcome to it! And I really do hope you finish your book and allow us all to support you because you provide a wealth of information!

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Thank you Tom. I am daily working on illustrations. I want the book to show and contain info that is not found elsewhere. I will also be selling it to vets, because I have found out that they too can learn from the info contained and to be better able to identify problems and possibly treatments.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok, so I finally got a good shot of him (at least based on the wing spots, it's a HE), but due to the surprise Gucci showed us 2 weeks ago, I'm leaving room for errors! He doesn't appear to be split to whiteface. So is Louie a pastelface split pied or grey split to pied pastelface?

side note: Gucci, who was determined to be a boy, laid a total of 4 eggs!!!!! Yet, s(he) whistled and displayed a lot of common male traits... Either way, I have a soft spot in my heart for her, since she was the first cockatiel I ever hand fed and raised on my own. If I was to find her a partner, what would be a good match for a visual pied?

So I was playing with the virtual breeder site and something occurred to me and would like some clarification.

- is Gucci considered a (light) visual pied or grey split to pied? I would think she is a visual pied, no?

- and if she is in fact a (light) visual pied, doesn't that mean the mum has to be lutino split to pied rather than just a lutino since daddy is a grey split to pied wf?

man, all these mutations are making dizzy... anyways, appreciate any and all input you guys/gals have. thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
6,100 Posts
What gorgeous birds!!!

Gucci is a pied since she has some yellow flight feathers. Im not that good with cheek patch mutations but he looks like a pastelface to me, and Srtiels said he was a pastelface a few posts ago.....

Yes since Gucci is a pied her mother has to be split to pied as well since pied is recessive.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts