Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well Mum has decided she doesn't like having Echo sitting just "anywhere" and has decided that the only place he can sit besides on people is on the back of the chair, there's kinda a big problem there as I don't want Echo on me for 4-5 hours he's out every day and he can't play with his toys if he's stuck on a chair back. So negotiations have begun as to what he is allowed to have LOL, we've discussed moving his playstand out into the family area but it doesn't have a stand and the only place to put it is directly in front of a window on top of our lizard tank, which is very high up and he has a bad habit of hitting windows.

So we're looking at getting a parrot stand, you know the ones with the dishes and a single perch? He'd be able to have his toys which are virtually all foot toys, as thats what he prefers, seed and water which seems good, plus it's not very wide so can go anywhere. But are there any problems with the bird stands? he'd never be left alone, I just need somewhere to put him so he can eat, drink and play with his toys while I'm doing something, ie homework.

Is there anything wrong with that? were still looking at moving his playstand, but it's quite big and bulky, 90cm long, which makes it difficult.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I think a parrot stand would be a good idea. :D You could even look at getting one on wheels so you could move it to whatever room you're in.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yah thats what were looking at, and it can just be shoved wherever when not in use, Mum doesn't want to spend the money though, strange women LOL, we paid $120 for Echo, but paying $30 for a stand is too much? LOL

I've just never heard of them being used for tiels, so thought I'd check there wasn't a reason behind it

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I've just never heard of them being used for tiels, so thought I'd check there wasn't a reason behind it
They can be used for tiels, maybe its because most tiels do prefer to be on there humans when there out so for some its not worth it, I don't know its just a thought I have a small kind of table top play stand and two of my tiels love it they sit on it more then there with me I am thinking of getting one like your talking about I think they would really enjoy it.

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
Iam not sure if he would stay on a one perch stand. I would try and get a multi perch stand that can have lots of toys and food cups on it. I have trouble keeping Spike on his hanging play gym and it has lots of toys ;)

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I'm hoping we can find somewhere for his playgym, right now we're trialling it on top of the lizard tank with the window behind it blacked out, Echo is greatly enjoying lording it over everyone LOL.

I do understand that they enjoy using humans as perches, but he's out so much it's just feasible having him on me every second, he's not allowed on my shoulder, so he's virtually always on my wrist and it makes it hard to do the jobs LOL, though he does spend plenty of time on me.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Why don't you let him on your shoulder? Does he bite at your face? All my guys love riding around on my shoulder and it keeps them out of the way too.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I was going to get a playstand too but I highly doubt they'll stay on it for longer then a minute. Those play gyms that Laura and Bea have may help, and the rest of the time he can just perch on you.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Bea he chews my ear, and it HURTS LOL, and I've tried stopping him, I don't wear earrings or anything, but he just won't stop, so ended up deciding it might be best just to keep him off my shoulder, he's too good at drawing blood. He doesn't chew my fingers or anywhere else, just my ears.

The playgym I built Echo is stuffed with all his favorite things and he does seem to love it and will happily stay on it for hours, it just doesn't have a permanent home and is too bulky to move, hopefully we'll find somewhere good in the kitchen though.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I think a play stand sounds great....I have some other ideas too........

I have made a bird shirt.......It is a zip up shirt with a hood, not a heavy material. I have sewn on all kids of things on the shoulders and arms....Stuff like buttons, popsicle sticks and hemp string with beads....It is great your clothes don't get pooped on or get the bird dust and it keeps the bird busy and not picking on your ears ect.....

I have not done this yet, but I plan too.....I want to get a towel and sew the same kind of stuff on it so I can lay it on chairs....the back of the chair or the arm of the chair.........

1 - 13 of 13 Posts