Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went to the pet shop yesterday and spent loads!! No I didn't get any more pets, but I bought them all their Christmas presents. Whilst I was there I was also buying in their food and I bought Dooby a scoop of parrot food. It has peanuts in shells, sunflower seed, fruit, chillies etc. etc. loads of stuff. I put some in a dish for him and he absolutely loved the chilli!! He tried a bit of everything and I think it's a big hit with him, so now he has a dish of his regular food, one of parrot food, fruit and veg and of course a tiny bit of whatever I have for breakfast, lunch and dinner. He is so good with his food, basically, if he sees me eating it he will try anything. Although I didn't have to eat any parrot food for him to try that, thank goodness. :D

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I've bought big parrot food for mine as well. It has alot of good stuff that smaller parrot food doesn't. They tend to stuff the budgie one with white millet seeds and the tiel one with sunflowers so I buy both and mix them-then I buy a little bag of the parrot one and mix it in.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
If Iam eating something and i try and share Spike he will hiss and run away :rolleyes: I hope he stops doing that and tries something new.

The way I got Baby and now Ziggy to be curious is to first eat something I know they love and pretend that I don't want to share- they'll try their best to get to the plate and then I finnally pretend they won and they eat some. Then the next time I have some new food for them and act the same. Now they won't get off my plate..hehe

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, he hasn't managed to get into the peanuts in a shell yet, but he loves the chillies!! I'm really pleased I bought this mix because he's got a lot more things in there that I wouldn't have normally bought for myself, so he wouldn't have had the chance to try them.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I buy the shelled peanuts for my Quaker, he loves them and Nibbles found the bag, she tried and tried to get one out of the bag - - I got one for her, but then she acted like she didn't want it, then baby was on her tail bieng nosey and she wanted it so I cracked it open a bit and laid it on top of their pay gym for them to eat it, they ate some of it but it was a pretty big peanut

now my quaker on the other hand if you crack it for him he won't eat it he'll throw it down and tell you "yuck" - he has to hold it himself and open it his self or he doesn't want it at all !

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
The way I got Baby and now Ziggy to be curious is to first eat something I know they love and pretend that I don't want to share- they'll try their best to get to the plate and then I finnally pretend they won and they eat some. Then the next time I have some new food for them and act the same. Now they won't get off my plate..hehe
Thanks for the tip. I should try that :)

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Dooby is an expert at shelling peanuts now!! I made a little hole in the first couple that I gave him and once he realised what was inside, there was no stopping him. lol. It's really good to see him working to get a peanut. That's his treat, he has one shell a day.....that's two nuts. lol.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Dooby is an expert at shelling peanuts now!! I made a little hole in the first couple that I gave him and once he realised what was inside, there was no stopping him. lol. It's really good to see him working to get a peanut. That's his treat, he has one shell a day.....that's two nuts. lol.
silly. That's good that Dooby gets it. They have alot of fun and it's good for them to go foraging for food.;)

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I haven't tried peanuts yet I bet Ollie would have a ball with one :p

·
Registered
799 Posts
flicky got jealous of nagano eating all of the peanuts so i had to open them for him but i decided not to for a while and then he started to open them himself although it takes him quite a while to open it :).

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I think opening it for them is more fun then eating it. Mine just like to open them and then toss the peanuts out of the cage...

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I should try peanuts with my guys! I bet they'd have a ball if you put some peanuts on a string for them to pick at. :D

1 - 20 of 22 Posts