Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've all seen a food pyramid for what our diets are supposed to consist of, but here's one for our parrots! :D Cockatiels aren't canopy feeders, so we would use the right hand side as a guideline for a healthy tiel diet.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Any meat that you might feed a bird would want to be super lean and probably organic too, a hamburger is junk food which is in the 0% category. Personally i wouldn't want to feed my birds meat when they can get all the nutrients they need from other foods. :p

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I think the important bit is that they're getting the protien from some of those sources, you don't have to include meat. ;) My guys don't get meat, cause i'm a vegetarian and would have a problem with my birds eating it.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Canned beans and veggies usually have salt added to them, which absorbs into the food. For beans and lentils you can buy soup mixes which you have to soak over night and then cook, those are really easy and good for birds. :)

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
I just noticed this thread for the first time lol. I think this food pyramid is really more appropriate for cockatiels, if you change the bottom layer to say grains AND SEEDS. Cockatiels are primarily seed eaters in the wild and need more seeds than veggies. I include homemade sprouts in the grains and seeds category.

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
Human-quality food grains are good - things like wheat, barley, etc. Natural-foods grocery stores often have them in bulk bins where you can buy as much or as little as you want. Basically anything that looks like a seed is fine. Most of these grains are too hard for tiels in their dry state, so they'll need to be cooked, soaked, or sprouted to make them softer.

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
if the birds can get everything they need from plants and such...
Wild cockatiels are known to eat insects but we don't know how big a part of the diet they are. Insects are a much better protein source than plants are.

Different species have different dietary needs so you can't just assume that what's OK for one is OK for another. Hummingbirds live on a diet of insects and sucrose (the same stuff that's in table sugar) but most birds couldn't survive on a diet like that.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.