Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello,

My baby laid her first egg, i knew she was a little bit strange and shredding everything in site !

Firstly Parker has a good-ish diet, she has fresh fruit every day and fresh veggies every night, she is also given some pellets and seeds. (seed junkie trying to ween her off).

My first question is she laid an egg, i did put in a little cardboad box that she likes with some paper towels as expect more :) is this correct? She gets around 9 hours sleep a night, i know she needs to get more esp now. My problem is i feel bad that she is in the cage all day, so i get up at 6 with her and she has 1.5 hours with me. Then i got to work she is in her cage, so when i get home i want her to have some time with us and to play and fly.

Second question will her poos be less frequent as i noticed that already?, her egg seemed quite hard so i presume that is a good sign. There was a tiny bit of blood in her poo this morning is this normal after an egg?

I am fairly anxious as i dont want anything to happen she is truly my baby and i am in work now worried sick that something will happen.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Well first you should remove the box it could be encouraging her to lay.Where did she lay the egg? Are her poops watery.I think blood after a egg would be normal but I dont know much about eggs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it was just on the bottom of the cage, i keep reading different stuff online, maybe i will just pop it on some paper towels to prevent it from breaking.

Just nipped home from work to check her as i work close. She seems fine and a few droppings :) the first dropping this morning was a small bit but nothing unusual. but the ones now are normal and solid. Lets hope she wont lay too many :(

Thanks

·
Registered
246 Posts
When Peppy was sitting on eggs,her poops were less frequent but much larger. She had five eggs at 48 hour intervals. This time she is laying under the settee and I don't know whether to move them or not. I have put two in the cage but she still wants to be under the settee. She is not used to being in the cage all day so I can't confine her. When I put her in at night she seems to be hanging on until she can get back to the "nest" to lay and I don't want her to get egg bound so am not sure what to do for the best.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I know i feel your anxiety. I'm not sure what you should do. Prob best to move them onto a cloth or paper towel in the cage so she can sit on them. The poor little things it must be stressful. I just put parker into bed and i hope she will be ok if she has another tonight. I gave her some carrots broc and hard boiled egg. She bearly touched the veg just pellets and egg.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Maybe you might find something online on how to prevent egg laying maybe let her get around 12 hours of Darkness and Remove any stuff that would cause her to lay.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This is parker. No egg as yet but lucky today my partner isnt in work due to the rain so he will keep a close eye on her. I did that she got 12 hours sleep . I will do the same for a few days. It means she gets less time with me but if its better for her health. It says not too use mushy foods online but the only way she wil eat pellets for me is if i had a small drop of water to them . She eats fruit and veg but can turn her nose up some days.

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Can anyone advise me that when she disgards the eggs can she stay up a little later each evening or do i need to stick to the 12 hours? i will rearrange her cage this weekend and i did remove mirrors. i think i maybe the object of affection and also a mug in the house , i havnt heard her singing to anything in her cage. Iv helf back on rubs even though it it very hard .

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Can anyone advise me that when she disgards the eggs can she stay up a little later each evening or do i need to stick to the 12 hours? i will rearrange her cage this weekend and i did remove mirrors. i think i maybe the object of affection and also a mug in the house , i havnt heard her singing to anything in her cage. Iv helf back on rubs even though it it very hard .
What do you mean when you say she discards the eggs? Do you take the eggs out because doing that would cause her to lay more.Also you could try using dummy eggs if removing the eggs is the problem.

·
Registered
648 Posts
The whole extended night thing is a way to control her hormones and to trick her into thinking that it's not optimal conditions to be having babies. If she's been laying eggs I would personally be giving her longer night hours even after she starts ignoring the eggs because I'd want to avoid her suddenly deciding to start up again because she thinks the seasons have changed again due to the light coming back. One of mine was getting "clucky" and even though she was probably too young to lay I wanted to discourage it so I covered her for about about 14 hours a night and she came right. I eventually stopped doing that and today she got a bit frisky and was coming at me with her mating stance so I might start again.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thank you ,

I have been putting her into bed earlier, she hasnt laid an egg since thats 5 days now, she is fine eating drinking, poo is normal and she has no problem passing. I got some Vit drops for her water there is no blockage at her vent, is this ok? i did read anotyer thread that someones bird took a week and then went every 48 hours. i have been keeping a very close eye on her. she isnt fluffed up, and she is flying around as normal. She doesnt pay attention to the egg laid. I am a little worried that she hasnt gone again yet, but given that she seems fine , i dont think she needs the vet.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts