Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a few times that if you know what the parents are that sometimes it determines the sex of the baby by the mutation it turns out to be.

Since both my babies are WF Lutinos I thought maybe there was a chance someone would know. I also think by what I have read that both these guys are the same sex?

The mom is a WF Pearl and the dad is a WF Cinnamon.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
90 Posts
Do you know which of the parents split to lutino? If only the mom is split then all lutino whitefaces will be female if both of the parents are split then you can get male whiteface lutinos. So if both of your guys are males than both the dad and the mom are split to lutino.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ugh! I have no idea. That's all I was told. So I won't really know the sex unless I get them DNA'd. But they MAY not be the same sex then, right? They are from the same nest so I am not trying to find out the sex to breed them, it would just be nice to know when talking about them, he/she.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK thanks for your help. I really know nothing about all this. I just read a few times people have known the sex by the parents and thought I'd ask.

I'll just have to wait and see what their behavour(sp?) is like or watch for eggs..

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Lutinos, Cinnamons, and Pearls are common sex linked mutations. Basically, if the father carries the sex-linked color either visually or as a split and the mother does not visually show that color, females can't be split to a sex link mutation any babies with that coloring are female. When the male parent is split not all of the female babies will be the mutation color but all babies of the mutation color will be female.

Do you know which of the parents split to lutino?
Only a male can be split to lutino, a female cannot be split to lutino :)

To produce a Whiteface lutino hen both parents must carry whiteface which yours do, Whiteface with the Cock being split to lutino or visually lutino which yours is not so he must be split to lutino To produce a whiteface lutino cock the hen must also be lutino which in your pair she wasn't so both your whiteface lutino babies are female.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I use this site http://www.kirstenmunson.com/cockatiels/blue.html
you take the mother and the father put their mutations and then hit breed and you get the possiablity mutations of the babies

I did your 2 many many different ways and Could not come up with WF lutino ( i put the dad as a lutino with his other muations, along with bieng split to lutino)

the only way i was able to get a plain white face lutino ( with out any splits) was to take 2 white face lutinos as the mom and dad and got 100% males and females babies as white face lutinos

But perhaps you can play around with that site and get a better out come then I had :)

I've been using it alot to see what mutation the babies would be with each of my 4 females bred to different mutations of Males

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lutinos, Cinnamons, and Pearls are common sex linked mutations. Basically, if the father carries the sex-linked color either visually or as a split and the mother does not visually show that color, females can't be split to a sex link mutation any babies with that coloring are female. When the male parent is split not all of the female babies will be the mutation color but all babies of the mutation color will be female.

Only a male can be split to lutino, a female cannot be split to lutino :)

To produce a Whiteface lutino hen both parents must carry whiteface which yours do, Whiteface with the Cock being split to lutino or visually lutino which yours is not so he must be split to lutino To produce a whiteface lutino cock the hen must also be lutino which in your pair she wasn't so both your whiteface lutino babies are female.
Oh boy you're smart! I thought they would both be females(motherly instincts..lol), and I'm glad they are for more than one reason. Quieter and no breeding but double the worries about eggs and the problems that comes with that.

To someone that knows nothing about spliting and genes and mutations, thats almost like another language..lol Thanks Laura!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well I got my information from another site ..I guess they were wrong sorry about that. :(

So it is possible to use whiteface lutinos to make more whiteface lutinos right ?

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Laura beat me to it! :D Your two are definitely little ladies though, how exciting to be able to tell this early. Think of all the wondering you get to miss out on. ;)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just going to throw a wrench in here...

What if the breeders got the parents mixed up? Would they both still be female?

And what if one of them turn cinnamon after their molt? Will they both still be female?

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
The white faced lutinos are a sex linked mutation
Sex-linked: For a female to be produced the male parent must be at least split for the mutation. For a male to be produced the male parent must be at least split for the mutation and the female parent must visually show the mutation. Females cannot be split for sex-linked mutations, only the males.
It is possible for one of them to be male if the breeder got the parents wrong, To produce a Whiteface Lutino hen, both parents must carry Whiteface with the cock bird being either Lutino or split Lutino. To produce a Whiteface Lutino cock, the hen must also be Lutino.

Both of your babies are white face lutino's they cannot turn cinnamon after a molt
cinnamon is also a sex linked mutation so you would know by the parents what they were as well.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
If the breeder got the parents mixed up, then it would depend on with what other mutations. They won't turn cinnamon though, that's a separate gene, and you would see it right from the start.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts