Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi, i got a pair of cockatiels age 1.6 yrs . Now its been twice the pair have chicks everytime one chick. but it dies next day seems like pair dont feed him.
They lay 5 eggs and only one get hatch, and next day its dead. What can be the reason. they are in a nextbox... feeding is fine..

·
Registered
4,781 Posts
There could be a trillion reason why they are dying. We need more information. Do they stay in the nestbox and keep the chick warm? Are you sure they are feeding the chick? What color is the chicks skin? Red means dehydrated. It should be a pinkish color. Do you hear any rapid, high pitched peeping noises? That means they are feeding them. Do you know what a crop is? It's a bulge near the throat. Is it expanded or flat? Is there any blood? Are the parents attacking the chick? Your pair seems to have problems. The female is too young to be breeding. Do the parents fight?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Parent birds do not feed the chick for the first 12 hours because they absorb the yolk sack and live off of that. Have you ever heard the parent birds feeding the chick?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
See its summer time here in INDIA , and as soon as the chick somes out of the egg. next day its dead.
i do see chick wriggling in the nest...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well i never saw parents feeding the chicks , i removed the nestbox and discontined breeding for the pair.... Will start in a month or two.. Let c what happens then , i feel the pair is not mature enough t feed chicks...

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Do you know why none of the other eggs aren't hatching? Do you candle them while they are incubating?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts