Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cockatiel who is 4 months old, and last night the parents hatched a baby chick. My issue is that they're allowing my 4 month old into the nest...they allowed him in with the eggs and now with the baby. If my other female cockatiel were to come near those eggs/chicks they would scare her off. Just when I think I'm beginning to understand a little bit of cockatiel psychology, they go and surprise me with their behavior again. Anyway, I'm a little worried about him being around the chick. He's very protective of the nest, but I thought he was a little rough with the chick today. Any insight into why they would allow another bird into their nest? And do i need to worry about the chick around this bird? Thanks everyone. You're always so helpful!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I guess I should have mentioned that the 4 month old (Bandit) is also their chick. I don't know if that makes a difference or not?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
A lot of times parent birds will allow older siblings to help raise younger ones where they wouldn't allow unrelated birds to. He's still a baby but he is learning the ropes from mom and dad. Mom birds tend to not do a lot of care taking once the babies get older so an older sibling can really help dad out. It's all up to you whether you want to allow him to help or not.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I wouldn't be too worried.
Cloud and Sky allowed my gouldian hen in their nest box - and they could easily have chased her out. Some parents are just laid-back I think!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I have had unrelated birds share the same box as well as help from older chicks. Its just depends on the situation, just watch and as long as nothing goes wrong it's okay.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts