Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!
My cockatiels are first-time parents. They have one 3-day old chick and a few other eggs that I don't believe will hatch. The single chick has been getting plenty of food and attention from the mother. I don't think the father has learned how to regurgitate yet, but I'm not worried about that.
The problem is, the parents are only eating seed. I've offered many types of vegetables in many forms. I've tried chop made of spinach and carrot with seed on top, mashed egg with peas and broccoli, I've tried shredded carrot - but nothing seems to be working. They just go to their seed bowls and stuff their faces.
I'm just a bit worried about the health of the baby. Will it be getting the right nutrition? Any tips as to how to get the parents to eat greens? Should I put some sort of vitamin supplement in the seed? If so, what would be best?
Quick side note - the baby is not showing any signs of weakness at all. He sleeps a lot, then when he wants food, he chirps. He can lift his head well and scrabble around too. He has less feathers than other chicks I've seen at his age though, but I haven't witnessed any plucking.

·
Registered
36 Posts
If they are eating I wouldn't worry too much. May be part of that internal instinct of knowing what they need to replenish their bodies, seeds are fatty and the parents have been working around the clock to incubate, and now to care for their hatchling(s). May not be visually noticeable but they've burned lots of calories creating new life.

Btw, pictures of the chick or it didn't happen!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If they are eating I wouldn't worry too much. May be part of that internal instinct of knowing what they need to replenish their bodies, seeds are fatty and the parents have been working around the clock to incubate, and now to care for their hatchling(s). May not be visually noticeable but they've burned lots of calories creating new life.

Thanks once again for the reassurance! Every time I try to upload a picture of the chick, it says that it needs to be checked by a moderator. So sorry ahaha. I’ll try to upload one

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

Here is my attempt at uploading a picture. I hope it works ahaha.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Looks like your ma and pa are doing great with their little naked one! Can't wait to see when the full feathers come in.

·
Registered
275 Posts
It is interesting to see what color mutation of this baby. The daddy is a whiteface pied, and the mom is lutino. Did I see white down of the baby? Could be a pure white one?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
It is interesting to see what color mutation of this baby. The daddy is a whiteface pied, and the mom is lutino. Did I see white down of the baby? Could be a pure white one?
Yes it has a white down, which actually surprised me when I first saw it :) a pure white cockatiel would be wonderful. I’m thinking of taking the other eggs out today. They don’t seem to be showing any signs of life.

·
Registered
275 Posts
Yes it has a white down, which actually surprised me when I first saw it :) a pure white cockatiel would be wonderful. I’m thinking of taking the other eggs out today. They don’t seem to be showing any signs of life.
This baby is a whiteface for sure. I think white down is sign of white face. So, both parent carry white face gen.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hello! I haven’t taken the eggs out yet because the parents are still sitting on them. I’m wondering whether taking them out would distress them, or cause them to abandon the nest. I’m sure no more will hatch.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts