Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about getting a companion for my cockatiel so he won't get lonely when no one is home.

However, my mom does not want us to get another cockatiel and was wondering if he would do ok with a parakeet instead? I know that it could work sometimes and was wondering how to introduce them and would they even get along? I know my cockatiel chirps a lot while I am home because he wants attention but I cannot be with him all the time. The moment I leave he will continue to holler. I am thinking of getting him a friend and if it would help with this.

Would a parakeet help with this and would my cockatiel be able to get along with one?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Hi. It's so variable, it's difficult to predict. I have a cockatiel, Simon, who has become friends with a budgie, Calvin, but overall Simon is not a fan of them. I foster for a local rescue, so Simon has met 20-30 budgies over the past 3 or so years and he has liked three of them, including Calvin. Overall, he dislikes or tolerates them. It would also mean another bird to spend time with, take care of, and another set of vet bills. My other cockatiels ignore the budgies.

Leah

·
Registered
342 Posts
I had 6 keets and 2 tiels all houses together and they pretty much kept to their own species. I personally wouldn't house just 1.or each together. They have very different personalities and budgies are a lot more social and outgoing and playful with each other. If you can house them separately I'd get 2 male budgies and just put them next to your cockatiel. That way the budgies will be happy and the cockatiel will have company without being harassed or pestered.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts