Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed that some of you use paper towels on the bottom of the cage. Is that when you have the grill in, or do the tiels actually walk on the towel? If they do...do they rip it up, won't it get stuck in their beaks, etc. etc........maybe I should have just said, is it safe?:p:p:p

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
I use it with the grill in I wouldn't put it in bottom where they actually walk if the grill is on I don't want them ripping it up thinking its nesting material ;)

·
Registered
1,210 Posts
I can't help at all....I use newspaper.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I use it on top of the grate in the budgie cage, to save me having to scrub the grate all the time. I use newspaper and no grate at all in the tiel cage, they chew on it a little, but not much. I really don't recommend any kind of litter in bird cages, it makes it much harder to monitor changes in poop which is usually the first indicator of illness, and it also harbours bacteria much more easily than newspaper or paper towels. :)

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I use it on top of the grate in the budgie cage, to save me having to scrub the grate all the time. I use newspaper and no grate at all in the tiel cage, they chew on it a little, but not much. I really don't recommend any kind of litter in bird cages, it makes it much harder to monitor changes in poop which is usually the first indicator of illness, and it also harbours bacteria much more easily than newspaper or paper towels. :)
That's true about the wood chips and bacteria. I really wanted to say thanks Bea..I'm so silly...The budgie's cage is ALWAYS the hardest to clean. I have no idea why I never thought of putting papertowels ON the grate!:wacko: Hopefully it'll save me some scrubbing time too! Thanks again!

·
Registered
9,464 Posts
I use newspaper below the grate and only use paper towel on top of the newspaper if Iam worried about Spikes blood feathers. I would not use wood chips, I have never heard anything good about them.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts