Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to be getting my bedroom painted soon and I was thinking of a dark blue or something but I was also thinking about Rocko if a dark blue might make the room seem dark and I want to know should I do a light or dark colour and I dont really know of any light colours that would be nice for a boys room and I also know Rocko cant be in the room while its getting painted because its bad to breathe in.

·
Registered
648 Posts
I'm not gonna give you decor advice because it's none of my business (but dark colours are hard to paint over!). I don't know if tiels don't like dark colours, I'm assuming they'd prefer something lighter but who knows. Also, like you said, rocko can't be near anywhere near the room and it's paint fumes. Paint fumes hang around too so he might be out of the room for a few days until the room airs out completely.

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm not gonna give you decor advice because it's none of my business (but dark colours are hard to paint over!). I don't know if tiels don't like dark colours, I'm assuming they'd prefer something lighter but who knows. Also, like you said, rocko can't be near anywhere near the room and it's paint fumes. Paint fumes hang around too so he might be out of the room for a few days until the room airs out completely.
Thanks I didnt know you had to keep them out for a few days I could keep him in the living room for a few days I think I should do a lighter colour so when the sun shines in it will make the room look nice and bright because I always have my bedroom light on in the day because its always dark in my room.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Hi Brandon, make sure you get your paints, primers, etc. that specify "NO VOC" or "zero VOC" (volatile organic compounds) on the can. (There are some that specify "low VOC" and they are probably fine also, but why get low VOC when you can get no VOC? ;) ) The paints we have nowadays are much, much safer than what they used to be, not like all the toxic stuff they used to put in paints. :D

I am actually doing major home refurnishing right now so I have been using the Premier brand paints and primer which boasts no VOC. :thumbu: I have been painting with Sunny in the room hopping all over the place and I just open the windows and the front door (I'm in a condo so there is no chance of her leaving the building), just to be extra safe, and she is perfectly fine. There is absolutely no smell, no odor, nothing. :cool:

There are many other brands out there now that have no VOC. Benjamin Moore, for example, also has a no VOC paints line. If you just google "safe paints for birds" or something, I am sure you will be able to find a lot more brands that are safe.

Good luck! :)

·
Banned
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Lol my mam already knew she had to leave Tiko out of the kitchen because we painted the kitchen today

1 - 6 of 6 Posts