Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,361 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After months of thought and struggling with the idea, I decided to rehome Ozzie. A long story short, he became very aggressive toward Harriet (I doubt it was hormonal) and never liked Missy from the start. He just wasn't a good fit in my flock any longer and was beginning to stress himself, the other birds, as well as myself. I'd bought a separate cage etc and tried many different things to try to help the situation, but it the only thing that ever helped was if he would be permanently housed in a completely separate room where he could not see or hear my other birds. (He would scream endlessly and screech at them [and I don't mean just frantic flock calling, if that's what you're thinking], and would go as far as to attach himself to their cages and yell at them aggressively.)

As much as I hated to, it's been for the best. The other birds are more relaxed now and seem happier. Missy had gotten to where she wouldn't even come out of her cage and was very skittish. But she's now coming out of her cage on her own again, flying around the room, roaming, playing, and cuddling.

The good news is, after months of searching, I found an absolutely wonderful home for Ozzie! He's settled in fine and I'm getting updates as well. <3 He sounds like he'll be much happier where he's at. ^_^ The lady who took him had a male she'd gotten years ago who passed away this summer at 20 years old. She'd been searching for another cockatiel only just recently and came upon Ozzie's ad. She's very knowledgeable and I'm relieved and thrilled to have found someone like her. <3

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
I know it wasn't easy for you to come to the decision, but you did what was best for him and all the fids. I love that you are getting updates.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
That was definitely the best solution for everybody I am glad Ozzie found a loving forever home. Hope he will be a lot happier there . Merry Christmas to all of you X x Teresa

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
You did what you needed to do. At some point or another we have done this. I've done it twice actually. Sometimes certain animals just don't fit in with the others. It happens.

I'm glad Ozzie went to a great home and your flock is happier now. :) Merry Christmas!

·
Registered
786 Posts
I'm happy for you both. Getting someone who is experienced really helps and getting updates is awesome. It sounds like everyone is happy now. Way to go!

·
Registered
183 Posts
It's always good to know he's going to be in good hands. You did your best. This woman will take care of him, for sure!

·
Registered
139 Posts
I had a similar situation with my first cockatiel, Gracie, who I adopted as an older adult and who simply couldn't adjust to living with other birds. Starting with youngsters proved A LOT better, who could grow up with our mixed group and become friends when they were still young and impressionable enough. Now I've ended up with three budgies, two tiels, and a dove who all think they're the same species (which one I don't know lol!).

Happy your guys are at peace again.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts