Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

I have been keeping cockatiels since 2016 but I wanted to upgrade my hobby and go deeper into this hobby so I started doing readings and joined this forum and all. I contacted some hobbyists who are also breeding show cockatiels. I once asked a breeder about sources of vitamins and what supplements to use. The response was a bit strange since there were multiple vitamins the breeder uses. One source was used throughout the year, the other was used during the breeding season and one added specifically with soft food. Apart from that calcium supplement was also provided. My concern is that if all the vitamin products the breeder uses, they all contain the same vitamins, amino acids and minerals (with a little difference in concentration). Is it a good practice or not?

·
Registered
10,791 Posts
It all depends on whether you're delivering the right amount of each vitamin, which is basically impossible to figure out because you can't tell exactly how much the bird is eating. That's why I prefer to have some good-quality pellets in the diet to provide vitamins and minerals instead of using supplements. A professional animal nutritionist has already figured out the right amount and put it in the pellets.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts