Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have to this point kept all my birds indoors. It is getting too close to cold weather to start now, but next year I am thinking I will build some flights outside.

What temperature do you think is safe for them? Highs, lows, fluctuations from day to nigh. All of it. They would have a solid top, back, and ends for shade and protection.

Plus I was thinking at first of pouring a cement pad and building the pens on top of it but I decided against it because of feces and predators. I was looking for ideas for the doors too reduce the risk of escapes (I don't clip wings because I need to see their length and shape for selective breeding purposes). Like maybe a small 1 -2' square door and have each pen no bigger than you could reach across in any direction. Maybe 30" deep, 60" across the front, 40" tall?

I could use the extra free flight space and I actually think they would enjoy it.

Any and all input is appreciated.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I have budgies in an aviary outside and depending on the time of year they manage well in temps from about -3C - 40C (27F - 104F). The low there is during the night in the middle of winter and the high is the middle of the day in summer. During winter i have plastic that i roll down over the front and sides of the aviary to keep wind and rain out at night, and during summer i mist them with the hose during the hottest part of the day.

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
You have to remember that budgies, and tiels too, come from parts of Australia where the temperatures get very high during the day and then drop alarmingly at night. They're very hardy species. My only advice is to get them used to the aviary in the spring so that they start of in comfortable temperatures during the day AND night. From that the temperature will change gradually with the seasons and they will acclimatise. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts