Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My husband has the framing up for the outdoor aviary for my cockatiels it is on the 2nd level deck (so away from rodents etc) Its 5' wide 11 ft long and 7 1/2' tall flooring will be first a layer of wood (I'm horrible with the names LOL) then tile. The roof will consist of alluminum angled and 2 wood doors will be added main door then about 2 ft of the aviary is going to be inclosed with 2nd door and wire to ensure no escapes we can change the food from this area and cleaning shouldn't be bad. Now he wants to add plants inside the aviary so Im wondering what plants and or trees are ok for cockatiels to use and is it recommended? We also want to do natural perches so what tree branches are ok to use? Along with toys, swings and will be adding stuff as we think of it can anyone think of additional items I may need to add or haven't thought off? The cockatiels I rescued about 2 weeks ago have been switched to small cages because they had been in a cage about 2ft tall and 3 ft wide and there are 21 of the tiels total I've seperated them into smaller cages so we're trying to get this up for them as quickly. I've had them quartined since I rescued them as I also have 5 tiels in my bedroom. Also anyone know of a good site to get the outdoor heater for the aviary? My husband plans on also covering the sides with tarps on windy days but the where the deck is we have half of this enclosed and can come out & sit with them also the side of the house doesn't get windy and is clear of trees etc (atleast where the deck) Am I forgetting anything? Oh any ideas as to feeders and water dishes that they won't make to much of a mess with??

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Also as long as it doesn't rain like it's supposed too my step father will be coming over to help finish this aviary tomorrow :) unfortunely its supposed to rain all day hoping it holds off!! if we can get it done we can get them moved here in NC it's not to cold and we haven't gotten any snow either :) it's actually beautiful and I know the 21 tiels will be much happier :) just need to figure out what Im missing etc and make sure it all gets added before I can add them

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I hope so :) thank you I can't wait until he's done so I can post pictures I got some ideas from Striels and my husband went from there :)

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
The idea of plants in the flight is great, and it enhances the look of it....which I have done several times only to learn that within a day or two it will look like a hurricane went thru and shredded the greenery/plants. Within a few days they were totally destroyed. So you might want to place potted plants around and outside the aviary.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Well for the food dishes you could put lardge bowls are at the bottom of the cage. But if you want to keep the food all in one place you could find some safe wood for tiels and then use 2x2 or 2x4 pieces to make a 1-2 foot square frame. Then screw a piece of tile or a slate of plastic. Then you put the bowl of food in that frame. All the food they spill then would be easy to clean up because you would just have to dump it and you wouldn't have food everywhere :p (Just to say i have never tryed doing this but i dont see any reason why it wouldnt work)

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
today is a bust because we're supposed to get snow here in NC :( so I'm hoping to get the triplets to the sitter Tuesday & Weds while Im off of work so I can help my husband finish it! :) I will post pictures of the Aviary once it's complete!! Always welcoming ideas for food/water & Toys ideas :) to put in the aviaries :) because I'm not sure how to do those yet LOL- do I buy them? Or make them? And what kind of Trees can be used as natural perches???????

·
Registered
308 Posts
My birds love hibiscus. The flowers are very nutritious as well as the leaves and branches. The hibiscus does well in pots and birds love to perch on it.
Also, you can put pansies and petunias. I use these plants in the salads I make for my birds. I like to put a flat of pansies and petunias in their flight cages.

·
Registered
1,379 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Well it looks like my husband is going to be able to do the flooring and hopefully the wire today due to snow and rain and an sick 2 year triplets he got stuck with building but is back to it roof an all framing is already up if he can get the flooring down today along with the wire mesh the only thing to do would to add the 2 doors perches feeders toys boxes and whatever else it's going to be beautiful :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts