Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
God forgive me for writing this post. I will try to make this as short as possible. About 2 years ago we rescued a tiel from a neglectful home. He came to us covered is paint & full of dust but ive never seen a tiel full of so much life. So excited to meet his new tiel sister the old man he was turned into a kid again :). i miss seei.g him like that. This past year he has gone down hill. Constant problems, from ingrown feathers to bumblefoot to him causing wounds on his body. Really from the first day we really got a look at him we knew he wasnt well but with SEVERAL trips to the vet he got better. time after time the was a solution. this past week we were going to take him back to get him checked for an ingrown feather whichthe vet had removed on a previous visit. anywho the day or so before i notice his leg was weird. as if it was dislocated. how i dont know. he sleeps on a beside my mom in a box that is his bed ( since he started getting ill my mom preffers to have him beside her at all times so she hears him peep for water ) ( too lazy to go & get it himself in his cage :). so yeah out of nowhere is wasnt right. we took him in & with an xray the doctor informed us it was a cancer tumor pushing at his leg. told my mom he was at his end. said a week with us would be okay & prescribed us a painkiller that starts with an m. there is no solution to cancer for him. no ammount of money will save him. no ammount of love & god know we love him sooo very much. hes an old man at 22 & if only we had the chance to save him from his previous owner we would of had more time with him. we take him back on tuesday & that will be his last day. i pray he makes it. i want him to pass peacefully. so my question is & believe me i feel like garbage asking but how much does it cost for euthanization & cremation with his ashes returned to us. our vet is charging us almost $500. is that normal for a wee bird. i hate to ask but we arent well very finachially stable at the momment & we will go without just so our tiels have the absolute best. my aunt had to put her 16 years old golden retriever to sleep & with cremation is cost 400 but that was a big dog. so yeah i know its wrong to ask but i am. as for wonka, hes sleeping beside my mom. we are giving him everything he loves. make sure hes as happy as possible. doc told us his painkiller tastes terrie & may cause him to stop eatting. so just in case i actually tasted the painkiller first & although is smelled of pee :/. it taste like flat mountain dew & sprite when its flat with a bit of vineger. & the taste quickly went away so hes on that once a day. sorry for this being long & not making sense. i can barely sleep & its Lmost 5 am. so yeah please let me know the cost. thanks.

·
Registered
307 Posts
Hello I know nothing I say will ease your pain at his eventual passing....
In answer to your Q. Have you checked in your area for a pet cemetery.
They are appearing to be the in thing at the moment. The vet could put
him to sleep & the cemetery can take care of the rest. On the other
hand you could have a cheaper but just as nice burial service & put
him to rest in your garden or out in the woods somewhere...Hope
these suggestions may help.....Yours B.J.

·
Registered
4,598 Posts
I don't know about costs as fortunately I have not had to pay for such a thing. However, I wanted to say how truly sorry I am, I can feel your pain. Thank you for making his life so much better in the past few years. (((hugs)))

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I'm very sorry to hear this too. Please don't feel guilty for asking about euthanasia or cremation -- it's an important part of caring for your bird who you obviously love. The cost probably varies according to region and service, but I did that research for my area last year, and $300-$500 was approximately the range for euthanasia and cremation combined. You might talk to your vet about options other than cremation, if you don't feel that price is realistic. My ultimate conclusion was that cremation probably is not worthwhile for the cost, not because I mean any disrespect to my birds, but because I can't justify it when I think about what I could do with that $200-300 to rescue another living bird when mine eventually go. Making the end of his life as peaceful and comfortable as possible (which you're already doing) is the most important part. I'll be thinking of you and him in this difficult time.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Oh:( I am so sorry. I guess the tumour is not in a place that makes it easy to remove? Poor thing:(

I am so glad that you were there to make his last two years as happy as possible. I am so happy that you are trying everything within and beyond your means to keep him comfortable and pain-free.

As for cost for euthanasia and cremation... I would agree that cremation is not worth the money they ask. I bury my babies under a pomegrenade tree in the garden next to each other with their toys and some bird seeds and there are pretty flowers growing around them. You could do the same and keep the cremation money in emergency jar for later use.

I am praying for your Wonka and you.. And bless your mum's heart :)

·
Registered
836 Posts
I am very very sorry for the pain you, your Mom and Wonka are facing when it is obvious there is so much love in your hearts. Pls don't feel bad about asking about costs or procedures, it is normal to want to know. I remember talking to my vets about Sammy and I could barely speak the words; but I didnt know how they would even do it with a bird? I think the cost is high because they have a special chamber they use vs a dog or cat. If you have access to a yard or garden, I too would bury Wonka vs cremate. If you do not have a yard, perhaps a family member does who would allow it? I bought a wonderful bird bath with a little bird sitting on it and used it as a marker for where I buried my Sammy. Perhaps something like that would be a gentle reminder of the love you have shown lucky lucky Wonka.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I'm sorry for all you've been through. My vet, when my Cupkake passed last year (she was ill and I took her to the vet and she passed after I left for school) took prints of her feet for me and handled her body, I never saw it again. But the feet impression meant that much more to me. So maybe see if your vet can do something like that for you and release the body to you so you can bury Wonka.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
My deceased birds have been buried beneath a Omosa tree in my back yard, side by side, each with a toy in their box. I don't think I will ever cremate my birds, but if that is something you feel strongly about then for you it is worth the money.

For me, I'd save the money and bury Wonka. You're already doing your part by letting him pass in peace.

I'm sorry you have to go through this, but know that you saved him and gave him as good of a life as he had ever known. He will always love and be thankful for you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thank you all for your kind words. i cant tell you how much they mean to me. as to wonka getting the tumor removed the vet said that it would be extremely difficult & because of his age he would not make it :(. apart of me wanted to say just try but then again i dont want him cut open & passing. i want to pet his wee head & be there for him. as for those who have placed their beloved pets ho have paased in a garden or under a tree that is such a great idea & beautiful sendoff. how i wish that was an option for us, we live in a city & our apartment has to backyard our front yard :(. i wish i had a yard, id make such a beautiful space for him. sooo because of my family not have a yard & that being the stupoest thing ever we will be cremating him. i just cant imagine not knowimg what will happen to his remains. i will also be checking to see if we have a local pet cemetary & look into that asap. thank you all for your wonderful suggestions. i do appreciate them. the price the vet is charging us is fair ( now that i know ). thank you for filling me in. as for a status on wonka, there is no happy ending to this story. tuesday will be his last. my mom wont even step away from hi. hes wrapped in a snuggli & she carries him everywhere. if she puts him down & is out of his site he will peep loud so hes getting spoiled. will put in any updates. thank you all.

·
Registered
8,086 Posts
I live in an apartment too, so I definitely understand how tough that position is when considering a decision like this. It sounds like he definitely knows how loved he is, and I'm sure that you are making his last days with you great ones. I'm so sorry you're going through this.

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
I'm so sorry that you have to go through this. If you ask the vet how much it will cost for euthanasia without cremation, you'll be in a better position to compare the cost of cremation with the cost of a pet cemetery.

Vets tend to overcharge for some services. The pet cemetery might be able to provide cremation services at a lower cost than the vet does, and this is usually cheaper than burial. Here's a website with information on typical cremation costs: http://pets.costhelper.com/pet-cremation.html It says that it's typically $55-100 for small animals including birds, and another $50-150 for an urn.

There's a website with a list of pet cemeteries at http://aplb.org/services/aftercare.html The main website at http://aplb.org/index.php has links to a pet loss chat room and other services that might help you get through this difficult time.

·
Registered
270 Posts
I can't imagine what your going thew... I don't even wanna think about loosing any of my babies...your in my thoughts and prayers..will be thinkin About you and your family while your going thew this tough time..

·
Registered
363 Posts
I can't give advice about cremation etc but I just wanted to say I am thinking of you and your mum at the moment. It really hurts when we have to say goodbye to a companion tiel.
My thoughts on reading this were: thank goodness Wonka has known love, kindness and safety. He will end his days so very loved and cared for. He is a lucky bird to have you and your mum taking care of him.

Very best of luck for Tuesday. I hope you cope OK xxx

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
I just wanted to say how sorry I am. I can't imagine how hard this must be. But thank goodness you came into Wonka's life and gave him love and comfort for his last years.

·
Registered
364 Posts
I'm so sorry you are going through this, I know how hard it is.

We choose to cremate but contacted a pet cremation business on our own. With the urn I think it was around $125-150, but I am in Canada so I'm not sure how the price would differ where you are.

·
Registered
585 Posts
oh man,:( my heart hurts reading this, but it is sooo nice to see how many people have amazing advice. i am sorry for what you are going through. i live in an apartment too. i understand. HUGS TO YOU !

·
Registered
305 Posts
i think all of us here share your pain and understand what you're going through. the important thing is you and your mom have given him a beautiful life, taking from a neglected home and making sure he is loved. i'm sure his last few days, no matter how many you have with him, will be precious. you will be in my thoughts!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
soo i need advice. we got a call from the vets office today & the receptionist who may i add is very friendly seemed to be encouraging us to get a seccond oppinion. she said " if your bird is so sick how is it he gained weight " & " you know during the xray the techs couldnt keep wonka still so i dont think they are very good " she just kept telling us to get a seccond oppinion.

on a seccond occassion when we had brought wanka in for a ingrown feather in his wing the doctor immediately said it was acancer tumor but i knew better & told my mom to tell him what it truly was & he then proceded to remove it. do you think he just is saying camcer to say it ? we have taken wonka there before like i had said. for his skin problem & bumble foot & everything was good. but now im connecting the whole it may be cancer. he didnt even do bloodwork. is that normal ? my mom asked him to because she thought bloodwork would confirm but he said theres no point in doing so. im not sayi.g hes a bad doctor. he may be right. wonka may have cancer but i think we need to get a seccond oppinion. should we ? why would the receptionisy put that doubt in our heads. its cruel really. the other vet we can bring him to has an opening on thursday & we booked it. we are gonna get a whole new xray & whatever we need. & if it is confirmed then we will mske the right decision. im just so confused. im emotionally drained. this morning i was holding him & telling him about the rainbow bridge & in a way saying my goodbyes. just me & him no one else around. i cried & cried until my shirt was soaked & i didnt want to get him wet & cold so i forced myself to stop. hes doing okay i guess. for a day he stopped eatting his sead. we tthen fed him rice & other fruits and veggies. hes back eatting his sead & everything else for that matter. i can tell he misses his tiel brother & sister. & they miss him too. he cries for them & we bringeach one over at a time and they rub heads & they will clean his crown feathers. its so saddd. & once again im in tears :(.

what do you guys think about getting a seccond oppinion. please let me know. thank you for all your kind words. i cant even begin to tell you how much i apreciate every encouraging word.
also i called a few pet cemeteries & they are awefully far.

but i am praying for a miracle. if he doesnt really have cancer i will just kiss the ground. only time will tell. thank you all. have a blessed day.

btw sorry for my typos, i dont get much sleep at all these days :(.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts