Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So day before yesterday we bought a 6 month old cockatiel named Abbas(according to the shop owner), i tried showing my finger to him but he just moves away from the cage, it has not been out of the cage yet, but today when i was out my cousin forcefully took Abbas from the cage and let it out and he kept it back . So is there any chance that i can possibly tame it in the near future?

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Hello there and welcome to the forum!

Firstly you need to let your new cockatiel settle into his new home before you try anything with him. It's a huge adjustment for them and can cause stress and fear (especially if they are shy to start with), so you must give him time to get accustomed to his new cage and environment. It make take a week or two before he starts to relax a bit. Make sure he has plenty of shreddable toys to keep himself occupied, and treats too.

This Sticky article might be a helpful read for you on the topic of bringing a new bird home.

There are plenty of Sticky articles and threads about taming and bonding with your cockatiel on the forum. I'll link one of them here.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Hi there and congratulations on your new tiel! Don't worry, one bad incident isn't going to ruin your chances of taming him forever. Just a bump in the road, that's all. :) You should give your new bird some space and take it slow with him. How long it will take to tame him will depend on the individual bird and your approach. Start by sitting next to his cage and placing your hand outside his cage. Do not move your hand at first. Do this for a few days and then put your hand through the cage door and just try to get closer and closer to him. If he seems too scared, back off a little bit. Spend time talking to him quietly and do not make sudden movements. Start with a few 10-minute long bonding sessions everyday to avoid overwhelming your bird. Good luck and do keep us updated on how he's doing! :D

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
new family member

Congrats on your new little friend! I agree with the posts already made and just want to add one thing. Cockatiels love spray millet. One training/bonding method that works well is to hold a small piece of spray millet in your fingers and let him/her nibble at it. The bird will learn that good things come from your hand and learn not to fear it. Best wishes!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.