Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
People: If your bird bites you, just let it happen, try not to resist or pull away. It will teach your bird that biting doesn't get a reaction and it will stop

Me while giant Eclectus beak is clamping down on my thumb bone: :eek:

I can tolerate a tiel bite any day of the week and I can practice the whole "don't react" technique pretty well, but it's a lot harder to do when the beak is 4x the size and a lot stronger LOL.

-sigh- He is 6 months old now and is entering his typical "terrible twos" or "testing/bluffing" phase. It will pass. I just need to grow an extra 30 layers of skin to cope in the mean time LOL!

Edit: Pics for fun

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
Attack of the super large beak!!!

We had a client bring a tiel in for a wing clipping about a month ago. When I took him out, he tried to bite me. I wiggled my hand and he let go, looking at me in confusion. Yes Mr Bird, I know you're scared. No you can't bite me right now. The owners are scared of him too, poor guy.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hahaha "omg wat? that usually works!"

I've been veeeery lucky with Zoe, she has never actually bitten me. She'll give me a thorough beaking when she's mad but she's never actually hurt me. Even when she's hormonal she is relatively gentle with her bites LOL

Sam's going to give me a few cuts and bruises though I think. It's okay. I'll get through it, battle scars and all :p

·
Registered
10,791 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
I've always just pushed back when bitten and they clamp down. Throws them off. The worst bite I've ever gotten was actually a budgie so far. The bigger birds just chomp. That little budgie was plain vicious

1 - 6 of 6 Posts