Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Things are going pretty well with Pip. Covering the cage has helped with Night Frights, and he is getting pretty good at stepping onto my hand when he wants to come out of the cage.

And the bird would be happy to spend the entire day on my shoulder, which of course he cannot.

But it took at long time to get here. He can still be nippy with fingers, especially fingers other than my own. But we've managed to find a system that works for getting him out of the cage and onto the shoulder, and even back into to cage.

But lately....... he has taken to biting my ears. And it :censor: hurts. Today, he drew blood. He loves to bite on my glasses (sometimes using them as a handle to crawl up on the side of my face, and onto my head...weirdo. But he also bites my ears. There is a difference between nibbling and biting and he nibbles a lot and I let him as it usually just tickles. But lately, he has been biting hard (no hissing or aggression just chomping down) and I DO NOT LIKE IT. :thumbd:

Just getting him off my shoulder and back into his cage doesn't work, cause he will not step onto my finger from my shoulder. He will only step onto the top of his cage (and sometimes he doesn't wanna), where he will then step onto my hand to go back into the cage.

He's happy on the shoulder, but the ear biting is unacceptable and very painful and I'm not sure how to communicate that to him.

He gets out of his cage twice a day for about an hour each, if he behaves.

What can I do?

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
You have to make him off balance...tipping your shoulder so he falls off would probably work. He'll start correlating falling with him biting. Also, a loud yelp might help as well.

·
Registered
760 Posts
You have to make him off balance...tipping your shoulder so he falls off would probably work. He'll start correlating falling with him biting. Also, a loud yelp might help as well.
I second this, making them feel off balance really does work - I've used it on bigger birds, and I'm using it on Emme now, too - she likes to throw me a good nip when we practice up and yesterday she drew blood. Little stinker. Give it a try - might be awkward at first, but if you drop your shoulder down when he goes to bite, it might just do the trick.

·
Registered
544 Posts
This is why I love hanging out here. I would have never thought of this, but it makes sense. Very helpful!

·
Registered
1,786 Posts
I bet it hurts!
Sometimes crazy curls are good ;) Sam bites my clothes instead because if he goes near my ear my hair annoys him :lol:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excellent! And this is good, as I'm kind of naturally "shrugging" my shoulder when he bites down hard (can't help it, really) and yesterday's bite elicited a loud yelp from me for sure. :/

I'll try tipping my shoulder instead of shrugging, see if that helps.

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts