Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last night my female Cockatiel Oskie had a bit of a fly around the living room but because she that strong of a flier she managed to crash land and break a blood feather in her right wing.

I pulled the feather out without a problem and no real blood lose happened apart from a drip.

Everything was fine, no more blood appeared so I placed her back into her cage, but the next day I noticed blood in the cage and found Oskie had a patch of her right wing covered in dried blood.

Carefully I cleaned her wing so I could see the damage, I found out that it was another broken feather, though not a blood one. I thought of pulling the feather out but the blood has bonded the feathers around the broken feather together.

I have left her be and so far nothing bad has happened. She has been cleaning herself nicely but seems to be tired and trying to nap. I put hydrocortiderm ointment on the wing which I got from the vets.

I'm not sure what I should do.
either I clean the rest of the blood off and pull the feather out
or go to the vets, which will cost a lot since its the weekend.

·
Registered
13,738 Posts
I would pull out the broken blood feather sounds like she had a night fright
does she have her cage covered and a night light... what caused a night fright for me was my rabbit in my bedroom

·
Registered
19 Posts
Keep a close watch on her and try not to stress her. Stress or flying can cause the bleeding to begin again. If she doesn't get stressed easily you can try to use a damp sponge on the soaked wing. If it starts to bleed you will have to pull the blood feather or take her to the vet. They don't have alot of blood to spare and this stresses them easy. Clean the cage so you can watch her droppings and make sure she is drinking and eating. If she doesn't eat or drink you will have to take her to the vet. If all is well, and she eats and drinks and there is no blood loss, you can wail until monday.

·
Registered
534 Posts
She needs to rest and recover from the blood loss, sounds like the bleeding had stopped so let her rest, a vet visit would just strees her out and weaken her more at the moment. Do you have anything like spark/guardian angel/polyaid? just aids the recovery.
I don't know about the cream. is it hydroquarterzone? Not really recommend for birds, you can get antibiotic creams that don't contain steroids, fucidin for instance. Keep an eye on her for now, if you think the injury needs vet attention then take her along.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
After sometime of cleaning her wing with the help of my mother, we found out that it was in the end three broken feather, two of which were blood feathers.

We couldn't pull them because it was hard to reach it. So after a bit of yelling at my mother, telling her that the blood loss in a small animal isn't good for it, we finally took her to the vet.

The vet pull the problem feathers out and gave her some antibiotics and something to stop the swelling.

She is now happy to be at home and having a nice stress free nap. She has eaten a bit but I haven't seen her drink, but i think she is more tired from today then anything.

Oh and about the cream, I got that when my other bird got bitten by a cat, got told by the vet to put it on the wound twice a day so thats the only reason I used it, otherwise I wouldn't have.

Thank you so much for the help, I really appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Also If Even A Car Drives By Your Window At Night And A Light Shines In It Can Cause Night Frights And If You Have A Dog Or Cat Make Sure They Don't Walk Around The Cage. Cockatiels Can Be Bad Bout Night Frights Mine Can Get Bad Sometimes!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
We don't have problems with cars driving by the house because our house it away from the road. Sometimes they get night frights and sometimes they don't. One time the dog was breaking away in the middle of the night and they didn't react, but sometimes there will be nothing happening, the dog sleeping under the table and they will get a fright. With my birds its hard to tell what causes it sometimes.

And thank you for the link, I might make some up tomorrow morning.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts