Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok well it's been a couple weeks since i found out Oreo had psitocosis, unfortunately some other problems popped up during this time...

A few days after her first vet trip, i started noticing her nose was VERY runny, lots of discharge... i think she blew a bubble once..

i took her back to the vet , they came back and tell me she has not only some type of Chlamydia but also macrorabdus (mega bacteria) i had to leave her there a few days, so they could treat the Chlamydia (the runny nose) they flushed her sinus and gave her antibiotics for it, aswell as 2 oral medications for the other 2 things....

I took her to the vet for her checkup and to receive another injection today, she has cleared up ALOT since last week, no more runny nose, more active in her cage and eating a lot better. i still need to take her back in a week for another injection + a dropping check, but things are definatly looking better.

Getting one needle a week eliminates the need for me to give her 2 different oral medications, 1 of them was 3 times daily, and the other was twice daily.

The doc also gave me some pro biotics to put in her water.

Across the house kirby is a picture of health....except his wings were clipped waaaay to short so he has balance problems. He hates when i leave the room and tries to fly after me, he lands on his tail alot which breaks his tail feathers :( he only has 2 1/2 left, the rest have broken off....

can't wait till he molts and the poor little guy can grow his feathers back and fly properly.

·
Registered
2,791 Posts
It's so good to hear that Oreo is doing better. Hopefully it won't be too long before she makes a full recovery.

As for Kirby, bless him, it won't be long before the feathers all grow back again.

·
Registered
5,022 Posts
Poor Oreo has been through a lot glad to hear she is doing better now, My Minnie was the same way as Kirby it seemed every time I looked at her another tail feather was gone she looked awful for a time there only had two of them but it grew back quickly and she has been getting better at not breaking anymore as I am sure Kirby will :)

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
I'm so glad to hear that Oreo is doing better now! What a lot of drama she's given you.

I think tiels have some kind of tail breaking genes which tells them to break all their tail feathers at least once when they're young. :p I know all mine when through a duck butt phase!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts