Talk Cockatiels Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

i saw this on one of the local bird groups i'm a member of on facebook, can't remember where the post is... but i saw something unusual. the poster was quite excited about these orange feathers and planned to breed her selectively to get more and more orange feathers on the offspring.

is this possible?

i'm actually a little concerned for the bird, because when i first saw the pictures i wondered if it was a health condition of some sort.

·
Registered
3,743 Posts
apparently orange feathers can grow in places other than their cheeks if the bird is hormonal during their molt - in the next molt they'll fall out and probably not come back unless the bird is still hormonal. it does look strange though!!

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ahhhhh, makes sense!

it looks interesting and would be cool if it was some sort of new mutation. imagine an all-orange 'tiel!

·
Registered
1,145 Posts
The way they are distributed is not very attractive, is it?
It looks like she got all dirty while eating jam

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
369 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
hahahaha. just a little. still a gorgeous bird though.

·
Registered
10,914 Posts
Some very serious breeders (like srtiels) have tried to selectively breed for more orange color but unfortunately this is just hormones in action, not a genetic trait that can be passed to offspring. srtiels says these orange spots are called breeder stress marks although they aren't actually a sign of stress. They're purely temporary.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts