Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as I've said on a previous post I don't like the cage that Kana is in at the moment.. I struggle to fit like 2 straw toys so she can have some room to move around.. it's like typical small canary cage if you get the idea.

Anyway I was thinking of getting something like this

It's the best "fit" for the room she is in at the moment. Dimensions are 67cm x 67cm x 156cm and costs like 130euros ( 140 usd approx ) I don't care about the price just mentioning it [ no idea why ].

The only thing I will ask them is about the bar spacing as it doesn't say how much it is on the info.

I think it'll have loads of room for toys and stuff and loads of extra space to roam around for 1 birdy.

What do you think?

·
Registered
22 Posts
I have a similar one, so far so good, mine houses my two tiels, it's space saver, about the bar spacing, I think mine it's about one inch between bars. (Haven't have any problems)

Hope it helps,
*They are out all day, so mainly its their sleeping cage

·
Registered
90 Posts
That cage is nice but I would recommend a Prevue F040. It's much bigger and will probably cost you around the same price. I have the F040 and it is perfect!

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
It's a nice cage for one 'tiel. I think a few forum members have this cage and love it. The built-on playtop area is such a bonus, too!

·
Registered
507 Posts
Keep in mind those measurements include the seed skirt.

That is the Prevue Pet Select cage - its interior measurements are only 18x18 (roughly 46 cm).

The bar spacing is 3/4" (19mm) but I believe Prevue measures from the center of the bars so the actual gap is less.

It is too small IMO. Far too much vertical space. It might be okay as a sleep cage for a single cockatiel who is out a lot, but I would get something bigger that doesn't have a skirt.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you guys for your inputs. Unfortunately the f040 is awesome but it will cost like 250+ to ship it to Greece.. I'll probably go out in search at as much per shops as I can to find at least a 70x70 cage that fits her needs I guess.

And yes mostly she is already out of the cage she only goes there for sleeping time or whenever I'm out of the house.

Thanks again I'll keep you updated as well on my findings ^_^

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Okay last call as I'm buying her new house this Saturday...

The only "large" cages that I've found in whole darn Greece are these 2

I'll name them PlayTop and BlueBiggie.

PlayTop:

67cm x 67cm x 156cm
Probably a 3/4" I think like 1.9cm bar spacing.

Awesome overall cage having the food catcher and blah blah we talked about this cage already. My only concern is the bar spacing + it doesn't have many horizontal bars..

----

BlueBiggie:

60cm x 54.5cm x 172cm
Bar spacing is probably 1/2" and it's full with horizontal bars also [ isn't this better for the birdy to climb like a maniac more easily? ]

Cons no "extra" playtop area but still it opens up from above so it's a + I'll eitherway fix an extra play area on another table that I have

----

Which one would you prefer? I need honest opinions and you can even bash one of the 2 cages I don't care hahah I just want the best I can find for my girl atm and there's no way to find a better one from these 2 unfortunately. I'm more of the PlayTop fan to be honest but again my concern is the spacing nothing else. I would really dig this cage if it had the 1/2" rule. -.-

Thanks in advance and hopefully I'll get some replies before saturday so I can get my final decision!

Cheerioooss!

----
Edit: There's no "flight cage" in Greece BUT!

I've found this in Amazon co.uk [ I don't know if I could import it yet due to our Capital Controls in Greece ]

Size: 78cm x 52cm x 92cm [ 150 cm total height ] with 9mm bar spacing.

full info -> http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...ue&ref_=ox_sc_act_image_1&smid=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE

and this one looks yummy also as it's similar to the prevue F040 I think

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I used to have two of the flight cages (the last one you listed), they were really great! I found that the bars bent out of shape really easily though, and if they're not galvanized they can rust really easily (mine did). Good cages if they're looked after properly though. :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I like the white one but probably in a black version.
I have never had a white cage because my friend said it looks dirtier easier than a black cage. Also the seed catcher can be a life saver :D
I do agree that the spacing could be a bit much but I have a cage sort of similar to this and Harley seems fine in it. :pied: :love:

·
Registered
507 Posts
I have never had a white cage because my friend said it looks dirtier easier than a black cage. Also the seed catcher can be a life saver :D
IMO, white cages look cleaner. Dried bird poop is mostly white, as is tiel dust. My black cages always looked much, much dirtier than my white ones do!

And the seed skirt on that cage is largely useless because there is a gap between it and the bottom tray. Stuff just slides down and falls right through the cracks.

Yes it's pretty and has a lot of bells and whistles but it is by far the smallest cage. You can always make a cage more enriching with toys and perches - but you can't make it bigger.

The last one is the best if you can get it. It's a lot like the A&E flight cage, but shorter. Which is almost better.

Otherwise I'd go with the blue one. It's easy to "make" a playtop with rope perches and such, and you can make seed guards out of fabric, or something hard like plexiglass or coroplast.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks to all of ya for the great responses. I've ordered the last one the flight cage for her as I figured it's better to have a wider cage than a taller one for her to jump around. I don't care much about seed cAtchers as I'm a cleaning maniac (job perk I guess) so I clean every morning either way lol.

Hopefully it'll arrive sometime next week I'll post some pics of it assembled etc

Thanks again from me and Kana!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks Jaguar I sure will :).

Now that it's on the way I'll have it next week probably I was thinking about her water cup. Is it better to have a cup or a bottle feeder thing (I don't know how it's called in English) I'm only asking about water though. She usually sleeps over her water cup and every morning there are droppings in it usually and I would prefer an all day clean source so I was thinking of exchanging the cup with the bottle water feeder that sits outside the cage and has just a slit inside the cage for drinking? Any thoughts or pros and cons?

Best regards, Noekeon & Kana!

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Fair enough so I'm keeping her as she is :D

Best regards, Noekeon & Kana!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts