Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Opinion / Advice please!
Here's my situation. We recently adopted both a very young Budgie (less than 6 mos, male we think...) and a 3 year old Lutino-Pearl Cockatiel hen. We initially housed them separately, but recently, the budgie started making his way to her cage when we would open both up for free play time. Long story short, they've taken up living together in sin and seem to love it. They're doing well.

For those who may be housing Budgies & 'Tiels together (and it's working well), what type of feed mixes are you using that they will both eat and do well on. I've transitioned larger birds to pellets before, but haven't tried with smaller ones. Ideally, I'd like to have them both on a pellet or pellet/seed diet.

Right now they're both eating a cockatiel seed mix. I have a bag of Kaytee Fusion (a pellet/seed mix that appears to be close to a 50/50 mix, but they are largely ignoring the pellets. I also feed veggies and other soft foods, but again, it's slow going as we've just started that too.

Thoughts?:p

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
a seed based diet with pellets supplemented in is best, no more than 20% pellets though. add veggies into the mix as well and you got a well rounded diet.

if theyre refusing the mixed pellets, try removing the pellets from the mix and putting the pellets in a separate dish to see if they are willing to eat them that way. if not, a small parakeet sized pellet will work for both birds.

i feed my tiels hagen tropican pellets for cockatiels and theyre small enough for a budgie too.

just very cautious, it isnt recommended to house budgies with tiels because tiels are really laid back and budgies can bully the tiel away from food and even physically hurt the tiel. and a tiel can retaliate and harm the budgie. all it would take is one argument when you arent around for a bird to get hurt or killed and yes budgies can kill tiels. theyre known to go after feet and they can cause the tiel to bleed to death... i would not recommend housing them together

·
Registered
255 Posts
So if the mix has both a mixture of seed and pellet it is ok to do that instead of buying separately? Being of course that it is good quality.

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
a lot of birds wont touch the pellets in the mixed feeds, which is why generally its not recommended, a lot of it goes to waste. but if you have a bird who does eat both in the mix, then its fine, but most eat around the pellets and ignore them.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Mine will eat it all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts