Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I bought a cockatiel today and have searched the different places and found that these birds were the most healthy. Their nostrils were clean, cage clean and all overall healthy signs. However, I realised when the guy brought him out of the cage that one of his wings had longer primary feathers than the other. He said they had been clipped so I'm assuming they clipped one side only. When he tried to fly in the shop he sort of angled and fell and it was distressing for him. I'm letting him settle into his new home now and wouldn't want to stress him out by clipping the other side but I feel like it should probably done, just until he molts and his feathers grow back? Can I possibly get some advice on whether this is a good idea or not and how to go about it since he's not used to me and already stressed.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
It would be a good idea to even them up so he can at least glide. You'll have to towel him to clip him and it's definitely a two person job.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Personally, I would not clip the wings if you've never done so before. I'd take him in to your avian vet or a trusted groomer or something along those lines and ask them to show you, or even just do it for you.

If it is distressing your bird, I would definitely recommend putting him through a few minutes of unhappiness to balance him out, since it could take a while for the new feather to come in.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts