Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

One of our birds during the night injured himself. We can see blood on the lower part of his body and his head has dry blood where he was cleaning it out. What we are trying to decide is if he needs a vet visit. These birds were mistreated and don't like to be handled at all so we bought them a large cage and kept our distance until they get more accustomed to us. They love to sing and have been coming around but I'm worried about reaching in there, grabbing them and taking them to the vet unless its necessary.

I know from my wife he was shaking a lot today but was eating and moving around and he is no longer shaking.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. We believe they are about 8 years old and we've had them for about a year and a half.

This is their overall cage if anyone sees an issue.

·
Registered
878 Posts
It looks serious to me - I would take him to the vet as soon as possible. You need to have the injury evaluated to see what the extent of the damage is and prevent/treat any possible infection.

I understand the handling difficulties with a bird that isn't tame but I wouldn't hold off on treatment.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
That looks nasty, I wish I could see it better but when he climbs up in the video the wing looks broken to me... I think you need a vet asap!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks serious to me - I would take him to the vet as soon as possible. You need to have the injury evaluated to see what the extent of the damage is and prevent/treat any possible infection.

I understand the handling difficulties with a bird that isn't tame but I wouldn't hold off on treatment.
That looks nasty, I wish I could see it better but when he climbs up in the video the wing looks broken to me... I think you need a vet asap!
Thanks for the advice. We went today. Turns out its a growth. She estimated this little guy is about 12 years old and that's when these growths can happen. She gave us some antibiotics for his water since he obviously picked at it and made it bleed.

She believes its just a non cancerous growth nothing to worry about but we will be watching! :)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
Ouch! Sending scritches for your little guy!

·
Registered
878 Posts
I'm glad you had it looked at and hope it heals up soon and he leaves it alone. Happy he's doing ok :)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
bird injureed self

Aw, poor little guy! I am glad you were able to get it checked out anglad it's not cancerous. Did the vet say if it could continue to grow?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts