Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a pair of cockatiels for yrs and today my female died. My male is having a fit, any suggestions? What should I do for him?

·
Registered
878 Posts
So sorry for your loss. :( I've lost tiels but not under your circumstances where the loss upset the remaining one. I hope someone offers some ideas for you.

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
So very sorry to hear this, both for you and your boy. Joey is an only child, so I don't have advice, but lots of hugs and sympathy.

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I'm so sorry :( keep him company and monitor his behaviour and appetite.. he may get depressed and lose weight, try to give him lots of treats and attention. I'm not sure what else you can do for him, hopefully someone who has been in the same situation can advise you.

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
So sorry for your loss I would think lots of attention cuddles and treats will be the answer Oh a vet check will also be a good idea to make sure theres no risk of infection worms anything . Hugs X x Teresa

·
Registered
246 Posts
I know this won't ease your heartache but when my guinea pig lost his mate, he was only consoled when we got him another friend. Could you introduce another bird, not necessarily the same type and not in the same cage? Alternatively maybe a change of room or cage would help as well as loads of attention and treats of course.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. I don't have any experience but I think a lot of attention would be great

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss. :(

Just be there for him. Comfort and give him lots of attention. He may be really upset for a while, but he'll come through

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you for all the kind words. We are going to get a friend today and put in a cage beside him. Hope he likes her.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Sorry to hear this. I wonder about my birds as well. My tiels are bonded to the point where if one gets out of sight of the other one they scream nonstop until they are reunited. If one died it would just be awful. I wish I had advice.

·
Premium Member
19,909 Posts
I'm very sorry for you loss. This is rough. While getting him a new friend may be a good idea, quarantining that new friend is way more important. You don't know what diseases that new bird could have and it could make you male sick. It's best to do a quarantine period first to make sure that neither bird has anything that can make the other sick. A check at the vet is also a good idea for both birds.

J

·
0 Posts
I was just about to say I think getting him a new friend will be of HUGE help. Very happy to hear you're getting him a new buddy... sorry for your loss :(

1 - 13 of 13 Posts