Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don’t know where to begin. I got my first bird from a breeder and his name is Roco and he is now 2 years old. I had been planning on getting another cockatiel and recently I got a female cockatiel (3 months old) from the same breeder. I only had her for over a week and suddenly last night she was at the bottom of the cage. I thought there was an issue with her feet because her feet seemed really dark since the begining and I booked an appointment for a vet. Today morning I woke up and she was already gone.

Few days after getting her, I introduced her to Roco which now I think was a big mistake on my part. They got along well and wanted to stay in one cage so I let them.

Since my female cockatiel passed away, I have been crying and I’m worried about my male cockatiel and if he’s healthy. I’m pretty sure the breeder gave me a sick bird and I swear she showed no signs and I was so shocked when I found her dead in the morning.

My male cockatiel is behaving normally, eating and pooping but his vent is soiled? Does he have diarrhea? I’m just so worried. I’ll be taking him to the vet in the morning but I’m scared I’ll wake up to him gone too.

His feet are slightly cold right now which is making me more nervous. I wish I could get a necroscopy done for my female cockatiel but those services aren’t available here.

I already changed the cage and everything they shared together after she passed away this morning. Any Advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
10,866 Posts
It's normal for birds to have slightly cool feet when the air is cool, so that may not be a problem. A soiled vent might be more of a problem, so it's good that you're taking him to a vet as soon as possible. Good luck, I hope he'll be OK!

·
Registered
14 Posts
I'm so sorry to hear you lost your female. Have you tried contacting the breeder to see if they had any other issues with any of their babies recently?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts