Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I woke up this morning to find my 3 week old cockatiel squirt has missing pin feathers and bloody holes over his body!? Ive never seen this before my cockatiels have had quite a few clutches. My first instinct was to give him a wash with baby warm water, i dont mnow if that was the right thing but I couldnt leave hin like that, if someone could please let me know whats going on that would be a great help ><

Attachments

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
It looks like its parents are plucking it. Do the parents have enough sodium? Sometimes that can be a reason to pull out feathers

·
Registered
71 Posts
I haven't dealt with this, but if it continues, you may have to remove him! Without full feathering he could probably bleed more than a full feathered bird. :(

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Perhaps not, what does sodium contain in? Ive tried feeding them fruits, veg, cuttle fish shells, they're only interested in seed unfortunately :(

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Not really off topic but I noticed yesterday hes developed some sort of respitory, crackling when he breathes, ive brought him inside Nd got him rugged up, what can i do to help that also? Sorry if im on edge but the avian vet is more than an hour away and i love him to bits already

·
Registered
648 Posts
He will need a vet and probably antibiotics. It's most likely an infection of some sort, hopefully not something like psittacosis but that's possible too, especially if he's been outside. They can click for other reasons too like if they had an injury and they have a bit of blood in their air sacs, etc. Sometimes birds can battle this kind of thing off on their own but he's very small so it's doubtful he will. My bird was clicking recently, either due to psittacosis as she has been exposed in the past or due to air sac damage, and she fought it off with the help of 2 courses of two different broad spectrum antibiotics.

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
Also could anyone tell me what mutation he is?
Looks like a cinnamon whiteface something or other. Hopefully someone better versed in mutations can tell you details :)

·
Registered
7,907 Posts
I would keep him inside and hand feed him from now on. He's gorgeous :) I think he's a whiteface cinnamon pearl.

·
Registered
786 Posts
Beautiful little one! Glad he is doing ok now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts