Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 4 days old baby cockatiel. Due to abandonment from its parent, i took care of it and have been handfeeding it.

Right now the baby chick have splayed legs!!!

Any solutions?

I heard that splayed legs can been fix when they are young, is it true?

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
srtiels will know what to do... a few others might, but i know she will... dont know when she'll be on though.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
They can be fixed and srtiel can help. Could you post a picture of the baby? Also what are you using for bedding, they need someting they can get a gripping on. Like aspen pine shavings under him.

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya I heard to Debbie~~~~

But I already use some bumpy paper towel so that it can have a good grip.

The weird thing is that other chicks don't have splay legs except this particular one.

I'll try to take some pictures asap!!! thnx

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thnx for the tips. However, I did not make the cube. I made it like a more like a rectangle, so that its belly is closer to the heat pad. Is that okay?

By when I should that remove the chick from the foam and cup?

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
so that its belly is closer to the heat pad. Is that okay?
---------------------------------------------------

Heat from contact with a heating pad (meaning not enough bedding above the pad) can also contribute to splayed legs. When little the bones are very soft and flexible, and heat just causes them to bend more easily at the joints.

Do you have it in a container to help keep the legs closer to the body and in a more normal position of the legs?

You can take the baby out several times a day to check the legs, and give a little physical therapy such as extending the legs to help with the muscle, and to also use your fingers to hold thge legs in the proper position to 30 sec. at a time...then back in the cup. it can take as little as a couple days to a week to repositon the legs into the normal position if they have not calcified at the joints.

·
Registered
6 Posts
have the exact same problem, also have a 5 day old abandoned.. just noticed one of the legs sticking out this evening :( i tried to cup him in a towel for now and waiting to see if it persists by tomorrow.. hope its not splayed leg, and if it is, I hope your remedy works Srtiel..

·
Registered
9,158 Posts
Check the bedding in your box. You want plenty of bedding under the babies, otherwise they can at risk of this too. ALSO, make sure that you have plenty of calcium sources for the parents especially if the babies are under 10 days old. In addition to splayed legs they are at risk for compound fractures, which can become permanant.

When babies are under 7 days old their joints and bones are still forming, therefore they are flexible. Even though it is going to hurt you might want to do some 'physical therapy' by flexing the leg and hip into a normal position for 5-10 seconced several times a day, and the chick in the cup 24/7

Attachments

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks Srtiel.. You got my hopes up again! I was almost giving up last night..been feeding him since he hatched to the best possible way, and it broke my heart to see him this way.. Will keep you posted..

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
you also MUST have at least 3" of bedding under chicks
(in your case Ace ...with remaining babies in nestbox floor)
at all times and as level as possible.
this gives them a proper level walking area and could prevent this problems in future

·
Registered
6 Posts
Srtiels,
I tried placing him in the cup as per the instructions, but he keeps wiggling his way out of the cup.. so instead of the cup, i wrapped his body in cotton, and then taped the cotton from the outside. do you think its a good idea? or do you think wrapping him in cotton have any repercussions?

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
but couldn't being wrapped in cotton over heat the chick?
also where did you tape ?
legs or whole body or just lower/upper half of chick?
i'd try putting a bigger wedge of foam in the cup so its wedged in tight to stop foam from slipping out and bedding up tight to cup so it won't tip over and gravity should make chick stay put in cup first til srtiels or someone else answers your last question
thanks hope this helps til then:)

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just got in touch with a vet, luckily I found someone on the weekend.. he advised to use surgery tape to wrap around one leg and then to the other, thus holding the legs close to each other..

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks srtiel and mitch for your info.. i did what you said for the night, but the baby kept wiggeling his way out.. i then wraped cotton around his body and taped it sothat he cant wiggle out. that was saturday at 3 am. Later on saturday noon, i was able to call an avian to explain what is going on, and how the baby is wiggeling its way out.. he advised me to use a surgical tape to wrap around one leg, right above the ankle and then to the other sothat the legs are parallel.. same principle as yours obv srtiel..
today is sunday noon, i took out the tape to see if the leg is getting better.. Well it is!! :D yippie!! he was able to stand up on both feet and lift his head up begging for food!!! i am scared to take that tape permanently yet.. i re-taped the legs parallel again.. im thinking of keeping the tape on for 3 or 4 more days till the baby is 8 or 9 days.. what do you suggest?? he hates the tape and keeps tryin to get out of it.. shall i wait that long or do you think the legs are fine already since he did stand on both?
And you were also right about the bedding, mitch, I did not know i had to keep a thicker bedding under him. i had a paper towel in a taperware before-for the first 4 days-, now i folded a towel to create approx 4 inch bedding and hes in it..

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
does the towel have any loops on it cause if it does it could get wrapped around the toes or get caught the nails which could cut of the circulation on toes ...
but aspen shavings is best or/but pine works too(hamster shavings,rodents) 3" of it deep compacted to as level as possible to help keep chick warm also as well as even standing surface
i keep them in bucket with aspen shavings on half /old pillow case on other half of bottom til aprox 14 days when fully feathered then move to shorter (tall)cage with no shavings but cover 3 sides of cage with flat sheet folded over
at night all 4 sides are covered
once they fly/hover i move to bigger cage for nightime and flight cage during daytime
hope this helps in that regards :)

·
Registered
6 Posts
he was able to stand up on both feet and lift his head up begging for food!!! i am scared to take that tape permanently yet.. i re-taped the legs parallel again.. im thinking of keeping the tape on for 3 or 4 more days till the baby is 8 or 9 days.. what do you suggest??

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
maybe you might wanna leave it on as the same directions as foam ?
until srtiels,or some else can give their advices
or til you can contact the vet who advised you to do this in the first place on how long to do this taping for ?.....on Monday morning:)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts