Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 20 of 205 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just got home from the bird shop... they had 3 tiels left and I ended up picking the pretty cinnamon tiel... ordered $30 DNA test but won't be taking the bird home until I know it's a male.

I really do MUCH prefer normal grey tiels (I just LOVE it when they have dark feet and dark beaks as Mother Nature made them before humans started messing around trying to breed for "unique colors" rather than breeding for HEALTH). Their natural coloring is already so beautiful!

... I didn't get the normal grey they had because it had same white markings on back of its head as Rascal and I felt it might make it too difficult to tell them apart?... but I'm kind of wishing I had gotten the more normal grey one.... I know I'm mental :blush:

... this cinnamon might turn out to be female though.... will know in a week... so Rascal's brother is in progress :) Here are pics of the bird who hatched on Jan 8th:

Attachments

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I forgot to ask... how come the bird looks so "old"? What I mean by that is how come his/her orange spots are so bright and developed? Because when Rascal was only 2 months he barely had any orange spots at all (extremely faint and non-existent actuallly) and Rascal very much looked like a female and like a baby at that age.

I'm naming the new tiel "Coconut" =)

EDIT: Forgot to mention that all of the baby tiels ran away from me or simply ignored me completely lol... so no good stories to tell here... I just picked the one that looked most different from Rascal and it had better be a male so I don't have to DNA test over and over again :p

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
What a beauty :love: I love cinnamons! I believe my Tony is cinnamon/grey with ghost pearls, which are more visible in the natural light sometimes.
I think Coconut is a beautiful name. Hopefully it's a boy, as planned.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I must admit I do love the lighter grey color on the cinnamon.... hopefully it will turn out to be a male. The lighter color also suits the name "Coconut" better ;)

They did have another cinnamon tiel in the cage that was already sold to someone else... it looked like a cinnamon/grey with ghost pearls as you just mentioned as I could see pearls in his chest.

I cannot wait to take new tiel home... I don't know why but I have a feeling it might be a female... that would be bad luck! The bird did make some sounds... the lady said he is "vocal"... so that's a good sign that he might be male?.... I was told its mother was a lutino and father was a cinnamon (or was it vice versa... don't remember!).

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
Being vocal is probably a good sign :)
Are you sure you don't want a female?
My Tony and Candy have been together for over four years now and have never had any eggs, if that is your worry about male/female combo. I personally like having one of each kind, they are so different :)

·
Premium Member
6,217 Posts
Congratulations! I love the rush of getting a new bird! Reminds of the day I got baby Jaid. Good luck with Coconut. I have a feeling he'll be a cock as you wanted. Being vocal is a hopeful sign :)

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Being vocal is probably a good sign :)
Are you sure you don't want a female?
My Tony and Candy have been together for over four years now and have never had any eggs, if that is your worry about male/female combo. I personally like having one of each kind, they are so different :)
Rascal has always been very hormonal... he has always tried to mate with my hands (I'm always like thanks but no thanks!! Then put him down) and he also tries to mate with certain objects in the kitchen pantry and his custom made bed I built him which he sleeps on in the fish tank. I have to make room very dark... and the once he realizes it is sleepy time... then I can make room brighter or he will get down to business if you know what I mean :eek: This works very well and now he goes straight to sleep without any monkey business. He gets about 10 hours sleep every night.... maybe not enough?

I worry he will mate with female tiel? I was also going to eventually try to have new tiel sleep in fish tank with Rascal... I honestly feel like I would end up with egg laying tiel then (since fish tank can resemble a nest) and that's a concern :(

Plus, Rascal LOVES singing to other birds... and if new bird is also male he would definitely love singing back and forth with him...

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Congratulations! I love the rush of getting a new bird! Reminds of the day I got baby Jaid. Good luck with Coconut. I have a feeling he'll be a cock as you wanted. Being vocal is a hopeful sign :)
Ya, let's hope so ;)

I heard him making sounds but it was more like little screeches..... I'm now happy I chose the cinnamon... it's nice to have a bird of different coloring than Rascal.... much easier to tell them apart and just looks cool to have dark grey with light grey together.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
... I guess I could just have new tiel NOT sleep in fish tank with Rascal...then new tiel would have to always sleep alone... but isn't is better to get another male rather than female since I already have a male who is rather very "into monkey business" if you know what I mean.... lol

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
I'm eager to bring him home :) Is it normal for cinnamons that are not even 2 months old to have such vibrant/bright orange circles? As I'm used to seeing those orange circles be super faint (barely there at all on baby grey normals) and not become so bright until they are a little older. I guess it's different when it comes to cinnamons?

Right now that cinnamon looks like a boy! ... as it has such bright orange cheeks... that bird does not even look like a baby tiel to me??? OMG... I hope it is and they didn't trick me or something lol The grey tiels they had looked like babies... but not the cinnamon :blink: Am I insane? Or does that NOT look like a baby tiel that hatched on Jan 8th?

They said the bird hatched on Jan 8th... how can that be possible??? As that would make it about a month and a half old... can they even be weaned that soon?? They told me the tiels are about 8 weeks old... what the heck? Either I am REALLY bad at math... or something doesn't make sense....

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Sorry my bad, I just called the bird shop.... the tiel did hatch on Jan 8th. She said they just very recently finished weaning... so the bird is about one month and a half old. Does that sound right to you? Why are his orange circles so bright and pretty as a baby? He already looks like a boy! That bird had BETTER not be the father!?!? :blink:

I didn't even realize they could be weaned that soon. Then again, I don't anything about weaning birds. Oops :blush:

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I don't know, I don't wean my chicks until they are 8-9 weeks old, however I allow mine to wean when they are ready and do not push them. Here is a pic of my normal grey male at 33 days old...

Attachments

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I don't know, I don't wean my chicks until they are 8-9 weeks old, however I allow mine to wean when they are ready and do not push them. Here is a pic of my normal grey male at 33 days old...
Your tiel in that pic looks like a baby... to me the cinnamon tiel I'm having DNA tested does not look like a baby... or does he?? When my tiel was a baby he looked like this. here is pic when he was 2 months old.... as you can see he very much looked like a baby whereas the cinnamon does not!

Attachments

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
And a lutino pearl hen at 36 days old.. Not just to give you an idea of babies of different mutations cheek patches and baby looks.
I see, thanks for the pics... I guess since his mother or father was a lutino he has some lutino "stuff" in him which explains why his orange cheeks are so bright at only a month old :)

EDIT: OMG, my tiel was sooooo cute when he was a baby! (Yours super cute also, baby tiels are cuties). My tiel's feet and beak used to be very light in color... and they both turned so nice and dark as he grew older, pretty cool.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
I see, thanks for the pics... I guess since his mother or father was a lutino he has some lutino "stuff" in him which explains why his orange cheeks are so bright at only a month old :)

EDIT: OMG, my tiel was sooooo cute when he was a baby! (Yours super cute also, baby tiels are cuties). My tiel's feet and beak used to be very light in color... and they both turned so nice and dark as he grew older, pretty cool.
If it honestly looks male to me because the face is so yellow, but you can't really tell by looks when young.. Your right he does not look like a 6 week old baby either, but he does look young, more like 8-10 weeks. Again tho it is very hard to tell age and gender from looking at them.

·
Registered
10,896 Posts
My guess would be that it's a young male about six months old, starting to get his adult plumage but not all the way there yet since there are still some juvenile markings visible on the tail and rump.

The pearl mutation has more yellow in the face than others, so hens and juveniles often have a 'male' look to them. Lutinos and some pied birds have yellow faces from the first moment they have feathers, which makes the cheek look brighter. But cinnamon hens and juveniles have dull faces similar to the normal grey, and I agree that this baby looks older than what the pet shop told you.

It's hard to be sure from the pictures, but it looks like there might be some plain grey feathers on the rump. If that's the case this bird is definitely switching over to adult male plumage. Females keep their rump stripes for life but males lose them at maturity.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
My guess would be that it's a young male about six months old, starting to get his adult plumage but not all the way there yet since there are still some juvenile markings visible on the tail and rump.

The pearl mutation has more yellow in the face than others, so hens and juveniles often have a 'male' look to them. Lutinos and some pied birds have yellow faces from the first moment they have feathers, which makes the cheek look brighter. But cinnamon hens and juveniles have dull faces similar to the normal grey, and I agree that this baby looks older than what the pet shop told you.

It's hard to be sure from the pictures, but it looks like there might be some plain grey feathers on the rump. If that's the case this bird is definitely switching over to adult male plumage. Females keep their rump stripes for life but males lose them at maturity.

OMG this is NOT good. I'm going to call the bird shop again tomorrow and speak to the woman I saw there today. I HOPE they aren't lying to me. I never told them I was looking for certain age... so I'm not sure why they would lie to me... the bird shop is over a 30 min drive from where I live so it's not super close... otherwise I would have gone back to look at them in person again tomorrow. Or maybe I should just wait to bring it up again when they call me with DNA results?

I'm going to tell them I showed pics of the bird to very knowledgeable people and they told me there is noway that bird is only one and a half month old... I will see what they say to me then. Maybe the breeder they use who sent them these tiels are the ones lying if someone is in fact lying? I was told all 4 of the baby tiels I saw today were from the same clutch.

1 - 20 of 205 Posts