Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2 year old cockatiel, Cyril, is extremely aggressive towards me since I brought home a 2 month old cockatiel, Brenard.

I have them in separate cages in separate rooms, but let them hang out on a towel together on the back of the couch.

Cyril now attacks me (blood drawn) when I get near them, completely out of his character as he hasn't bitten anyone in over a year. He also nips at the younger bird, Brenard, but only if my hand gets to close to either of them. Brenard has been submissive and playing it cool.

Cyril goes back to normal/being my bud once I put Brenard back in his room.

I guess my question is: is this normal? Why is he attacking ME, and only when I'm near them?

·
Registered
10,899 Posts
He may have jealousy issues, or he may feel threatened by the new bird, or maybe he's just stressed because his living situation has changed.

If it's jealousy, the first question is who is he jealous about. Does it seem like he's passionately in love with Brenard? If so, he doesn't want to share Brenard with you. Hormone control techniques will probably help. http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=32330

The other possibility is that he doesn't want to share you with Brenard. If that's the case, you can help reduce the jealousy by always paying attention to Cyril first, to show him that he's still the number one bird. Brenard probably won't mind, and after Cyril has had more time to adjust there will probably be less jealousy.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts