Talk Cockatiels Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, so I have a bit of a strange question, but hoping someone might have an answer!

My oldest cockatiel, Buddy (15 years old), recently started masterbating... a lot. I mean, he obviously did during his puberty stage, but it's so strange that he suddenly started up again at his age. We haven't seen him do that for about 8 years! And I don't mean it's just once in a while... I mean almost every 2 hours, atleast 6 times a day, that I notice.

I of course fully respect him during his... "happy" time, I don't tell him to stop or intrude, I just find it really strange that such an old tiel would suddenly start up with this, and SO much? Does anyone have any ideas as to why?

Also, we do not pet him on the back, as I know that can be a trigger, we only give him face/head rubs and scratches, no changes in his diet recently, definitely getting enough food, water, sleep and sunlight.. I've also tried re-arranging his cage a tiny bit as I've heard that could help, but nothing. I don't want to re-arrange it too much, since he's so used to things the way they are.. Hmm.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Sorry for double-posting, but I'm also noticing that he's becoming VERY aggressive as well. He normal loves to hang around and play with my other cockatiel, Rex, but lately he's been trying to bite her, and grabbing her tail, so I can no longer let them out together..

He's also becoming extremely aggressive towards me and my boyfriend as well. He normally loves to get scratches on his head and sometimes when I come over he'll get so happy he'll start dancing, but lately even if I'm not that close he'll threaten me with his beak open.. I don't know what changed! :(

Also, it's only 10:45AM here, and I've seen him masterbating 4 times already, since I woke up at 7AM... it just seems really odd this has all suddenly started. Please, if anyone knows or has any suggestions, I would REALLY appreciate them...

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
have you given them the long nights treatment? it would be a good idea, he sounds hormonal. make sure they get 12-14 hours of sleep in a quiet and dark cage. it might take a week or so to calm down, but generally it does help most birds

http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=32330

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
have you given them the long nights treatment? it would be a good idea, he sounds hormonal. make sure they get 12-14 hours of sleep in a quiet and dark cage. it might take a week or so to calm down, but generally it does help most birds

http://talkcockatiels.com/showthread.php?t=32330
Oh thank you so much! I haven't tried that yet..
All my birds are together in the same room, including him. During the "long nights treatment" should I be maybe moving him to a separate room for him to get 12-14 hours so that the other birds don't interrupt his sleep? Or would the constant moving maybe stress him out too much?

·
Registered
13,610 Posts
it wont hurt the others to get the long nights treatment either, so no harm in giving it to all of them. moving him away from the others might stress him out too, which might not be too ideal with his age :)

its a high hormone season right now for many people lol this time of the year for our flock always brings about the hormones.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
it wont hurt the others to get the long nights treatment either, so no harm in giving it to all of them. moving him away from the others might stress him out too, which might not be too ideal with his age :)

its a high hormone season right now for many people lol this time of the year for our flock always brings about the hormones.
That's true enough! I'll definitely try that then, the others can just get some extra rest. And yeah I was thinking with his age and all it might cause him more stress..

And true haha! He just hasn't been this way in years, so it really caught me off guard! But I REALLY appreciate your advice, thank you SO much :)

·
Registered
128 Posts
He`s going through his mid-life crisis! lol...
Hope the treatment helps! I know how stressful it can get when birds get really hormonal...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts